1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I inflate exam scores?

Discussion in 'History' started by ndm85, Mar 6, 2012.

1. I'm in my third year of teaching History at secondary school level. Each year I have been in a different school, so I've been able to see what works and doesn't work! The school I'm currently at infuriates me when it comes to History sometimes! The Year 9s have recently sat an exam (something they have to do for all subjects) as they prepare to make their options for GCSE. I was basically told by one teacher to be "generous" with the marks. A few days later, another member of the department told me that I should "raise marks by 10%" and that in the past he "hadn't even marked the exam and made up the scores!" This was confirmed by another member of the department who said that because History and Geography are in direct competition and apparently Geograpghy have made the test "easier" to get higher scores, History has now decided to "alter" results. The final member of the department asked me today if "I'd inflated the marks" and that if we don't get the numbers at GCSE "they won't need the teachers." Basically translated as, "you need to lie to pupils about their ability to get them to do History otherwise (as you're last in - meaning me!) you'll be out of a job." To be honest, I have no intention of inlating results and if that costs me my job then at least, I've stuck to the principles. As a pupil I'd be devastated to find out that my results had been fabricated. I would really like to hear people's views. Am I thinking in the correct way or am I blowing things out of proportion? What is it like at your school when it comes to option time and pupils choosing their GCSEs?

2. Well marking generously is still lying and giving a false assessment of your abilities and if I found out that had happened to me <u>I WOULD</u> be devastated. Yes it may be dog eat dog, but it doesn't always have to be like that. Certainly didn't have to inflate results at my last two schools. It's all good saying it's dog eat dog, but as a teacher you're going to be left with pupils who are unable to do GCSE History, complaining that they liked doing it at KS3 but not anymore because it's too hard and eventually getting a poor grade, dragging down marks for the department.

3. Flattery works really well with the kids you want. Geography is easier and so much more suitable for the ones you don't. The usual mix of warfare and appealing to their power crazed minds also helps: WW2 film clips and how to rule the world are gift topics for recruiting historians.
    [​IMG]Never mind exam marks; you'd do better just not bothering with exams as they'd be conned into thinking that history is exam free. By the time they find out, doesn't matter, you've got them. Ha ha ha , evil demonic cackle!