1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I have to teach RME?

Discussion in 'Geography' started by reformed, Jun 22, 2011.

1. I am not qualified to teach RME, but have been asked to teach this subject to S1. The school and the local authority say that I am contractually obliged to do so.

As I understand it, so does the HMIe, and GTC and the trade union is unsuportive in this (EIS).

Can anyone please tell me that if I were to refuse to teach RME classes on grounds of my conscience (I am a secularist) would being forced to teach this subject impinge on my human rights?

2. Is RME Religious Education? As I understand it any religious education is only helping students to build their understanding of different religions, rather than asking them to support any particular one. As a non-believer I'd much rather that students get their information as objectively as possible - so the less religious the teacher the better! What about it do you feel uncomfortable with?