1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

should I have to plan?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by prt204, Jan 12, 2011.

1. I've accepted a school's offer for me to do PPa cover - 3 afternoons a week, years 1-3 and 1 whole day in Reception, thinking that at least this was regular work. I have, however, just recieved an email with an outline of what lessons I've got to plan so can imagine that the planning may well take nearly as long as the couple of hours I'm actually in the class at least to begin with (I'm an NQT).
    Is this normal to be expected to do planning?
    By the way, I'm employed just on the usual casual supply basis, for example, just for 2 hours each afternoon.

2. it is normal to plan but i wouldn't spend too long on it. Lucky you, I would love to get offered that but guess you have to be in the right place at the right time.

3. Thanks for all the responses - having had 3 days nightmare supply this week, planning for PPA cover will be a pleasure (well, not exactly 'pleasure' but you know what I mean) I hope. It's mainly RE and music - neither of which I've done much of up 'til now so it'll be hard going at first but good experience and if it goes well it might convince me to stay in teaching which I'm currently not sure about.

4. If expected to do the planning you should have some PPA time yourself! I think i'm right in saying it's 10% of your working week.

5. I would image that you would be expected to plan. There will be long term plans in place and you'll follow them. Unfortunately as an NQT planning does take longer than it will do in the future. However I have been teaching for years and if I allowed it to it would take me all of the weekend.
    I teach full time and usually spend around 5 hours planning (at least !) a week and usually more.
    That is because we've just changed our schemes of work and format that they are reproduced on a weekly basis.
    It also largely depends on the school. I once worked in a school when my weekly planner would take no longer than 2 hours.
    Even as a Supply if you are there on a longer term basis it is normal to be expected to plan. We usually plan in great detail for the first week of a Supply's "contract" but then they take over. We don't expect them to fill out planner sheets like contracted staff but just make notes and brief evaluations.