1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I have to pay for Hep B Jab?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by LemonadeyLady, Dec 10, 2011.

1. I'm a student teacher and I've heard on the grapevine that students going into SEN schools need to have the Hep B jab. They're all paying for theirs, which I suppose is fine if you've got the money but I haven't! I'm starting a placement in a SEN school soon and I'm wondering whether as it's unpaid if we might be entitled to a free jab? Or whether the University should be picking up the cost?

Please help!

2. I'm a student teacher and I've heard on the grapevine that students going into SEN schools need to have the Hep B jab. They're all paying for theirs, which I suppose is fine if you've got the money but I haven't! I'm starting a placement in a SEN school soon and I'm wondering whether as it's unpaid if we might be entitled to a free jab? Or whether the University should be picking up the cost?

Please help!

3. Don't think there is any entitlement to free jab, its not compulsory after all from the NHS's point of view, however when I worked in SEN schools the school paid for it (I paid and they refunded), so ask the placement school? I would have thought they would be up for it, after all, its not a huge amount of money and they are getting slave labour for several weeks.
    If they won't (although I would think they would), ask the uni and if they won't then you always have the choice of asking them for a non-SEN school - depends how much of an issue you want to make it and the title/focus of your course (if its SEN specific, then you're cutting off your nose so to speak). For the cost of £30 odd for each jab (they are well spaced out), I'd just lump it, like a course reading book, smart clothes for the classroom, or a travel mug - general expenses of being a (student) teacher. And if you just have to eat baked beans for a week to afford it, that's student life surely? (or how I remember it at any rate)

4. If you're under 25, you might get it for free (at least that's what I did when I was 25, as the practice nurse asked a consultant for me who said I should have it done as part of the mop up programme). If you haven't already done so, why don't you speak to your GP or practice nurse about this?

5. I rang up my Gp's and explained the nature of the job that I was doing and was told I would not have to pay for my Hep B Jab.

6. Where I work, the Hep B jabs are provided by the on site nurses (we have an on site medical centre as we are a residential school) free of charge.

7. Forgot to say this is in a residential special school with a LOT of physically challenging behaviour.

8. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

When I used to work in a BESD school, I asked the GP (when I was there for another thing) about the hep B jab, and he said that I should be entitled to it as I was working in a risky environment.
    B x