1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I have my lap top put down?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ian60, Sep 2, 2011.

1. ian60

ian60 New commenter

Bless it, I bought it nearly 6 years ago (does anyone know how old that makes it in lap top years?) And it is really struggling these days, it can take up to 15 mins to go to bed when I switch it off at night, and sometimes just ignores me altogether and gives me the cold stare.
    Does anyone know if this represents a good innings for a LP? Or are there any quick fixes I can provide to give it a bit more vim?

(It is a Sony Vaio, Windows XP)

2. ian60

ian60 New commenter

Bless it, I bought it nearly 6 years ago (does anyone know how old that makes it in lap top years?) And it is really struggling these days, it can take up to 15 mins to go to bed when I switch it off at night, and sometimes just ignores me altogether and gives me the cold stare.
    Does anyone know if this represents a good innings for a LP? Or are there any quick fixes I can provide to give it a bit more vim?

(It is a Sony Vaio, Windows XP)

3. colpee

colpee Star commenter

An increased ram module and a fresh installation of XP would probably be ****** to your old Lappy. I bet you'd get another few years out of it.

4. I misread this and thought you had left something incriminating on screen and thought you wished you had put your lap top top (lid) down!!

5. Mine is 6 years old too and can take an age to start up and close down. It also only works when plugged in. However I have one from work which I use most of the time.
    To speed my personal one up though I deleted any programs I dont use, old files etc. I never really shut it down anymore just close the lid and unplug and when I plug it back in it just "resumes windows". Does the job for what I need. Wont invest in a new one until I end up at a school that doesnt give me one for work!
    Id bet a trip to a Laptop repair shop would sort you out though for about £50, be good as new!

6. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

You could try backing everything up and then putting in the recovery disc to restore it to factory newness?
    Not sure if it's worth the hassle of reinstalling everything afterwards though.
    Do consider getting some more RAM - that will speed things up nicely.

There 's a lot to be said for sticking with older machines - I hate that TV ad where they turn the woman's house into a salesroom to persuade her that her perfectly good 4 year old computer needs replacing - wasteful

7. If you have to re-install all your everyday apps take a look at www.ninite.com.

8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I've just asked Windows it says it's 45 years, no wait 14 seconds, no 7 years and 4 months, no wait again 19 year and a week..........
    6 years strikes me as a long time. Have you got any more recent software on it? If so it may be struggling to tun it properly which could lead to the problems you describe. If it's all old software, then try a disc defragment, scan with every scan programme you have, give it a hard-drive spring clean, it will help.

9. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I reckon you'd be surprised at what you don't need to reinstall. What does suck the life out of machines new and old is the bundled vendor 'bloatware' of programmes that you never need or use but run in the background updating and generally being an unseen nuisance.
    Talking of which, if your laptop is taking forever to shut down - I'll bet you have microsoft automatic updates enabled - a well known drag on resources.

10. Six years in Windows computer terms is two lifetimes - so, let's say 120 years old. Might be a bit less as computer design has got better in the last decade. I had my last PC for five years and it was past it when I replaced it. Yes, more ram would do it good BUT Windows slows down as time progresses and often a fresh install of Windows gives it a bit more life. It's the registry thing that underpins Windows that slows your computer down over time and makes it take longer to get going in the morning and longer to shut down at night. Replace it. And spend a bit of money and purchase something useful, like a MacBook. My 4 year old MacBook has had a RAM update and three operating system updates in it's life and takes 40 seconds to turn on from cold and 12 seconds to shut down. (Compared to 30 seconds on and 30 seconds off 4 years ago.) I reckon my MacBook has another 3 years of life when it will take everything new that Apple throws at it. I suspect that after 10.8 - the NEXT version of the operating system, it won't take any more upgrades but, then, it still has a couple of years of life before it will have to be replaced. So, I'll get ten years out of my laptop with none of the attendant Windows problems. OK, I know, there are Mac-phobic people out there. That's OK, you can stick with your Microsoft and replacing computers every three-five years. A friend of mine has had two laptops in the time I have had the one. She has spent the same amount of money in that time in total as I spent originally.

11. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

That sounds like a reason to go Microsoft to me. Buy one 2006 computer and keep it 5/6 years or get a 2005 one then a 2008 one later. As all aspects will be better in the later model overall a better deal. I replace mine every 3 years, mainly as I use it for business too, about a year after buying a new one I increase the memory to maximum (it's a lot cheaper after a year), can you do that easily with an Apple?

12. colpee

colpee Star commenter

There is no technical reason at all to replace laptops or computers every 3-5 years, especially if they are still working. It just depends what is wanted, web browsing, e-mail and office applications are not much faster on newer machines. For an average user, decent specs of three or four years ago are still plenty of computing power. The newest fastest computers will still get cludged with junk and slow down over time; the cheapest thing to do is clean it up, not throw it out. I have an Acer laptop that is 41/2 years old. It now runs Windows 7 and every single legacy software I owned went on without a hitch.
    Perhaps the OP just wants some moral support to buy a shinier gadget, in which case I say do it! Then it's just a pocket money decision rather than a technical one.

13. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

It depends on your attitude to computers and "things".
    If you want to make the most of what you already have, follow the tips suggested by several earlier posters - delete the rubbish, defrag the drive, update the memory, redo windows if you feel confident.
    Before you do that, back up all those documents, music files, photos, e-mail addresses etc on a memory stick or CD. Make sure you remember the passwords that the computer enters automatically as well.
    If this doesn't work, you haven't spent anything and still have the option of a new laptop.
    If you like new toys and can afford it, then treat yourself to a new computer. 6 years is pretty good going.
    I am unqualified to comment on the mac / windows // linux choices, mostly as a consequence of employer choices and lack of personal funds.
    Enjoy the choices,
    P

14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I still have an HP Omnibook xe3, which was launched in 2000 running Windows 98.

A couple of years ago the HDD was upgraded and the DVD drive replaced for nothing by a friend, the RAM was expanded to speed it up, and Windows XP installed along with a minimum installation of open source applications. The keyboard got a bit cranky so I've got a cheap USB keyboard for it.

I keep it in my camper van and run it off a 12v charger linked to the camper's leisure battery which is solar-powered so it's a very green machine. I use it mainly for transferring photos from my camera's memory card onto the HDD as a backup in case the camera got damaged or nicked. It does this somewhat slowly, but still works fine as a word processor and will pick up wireless broadband without difficulty. Not much good on multimedia though.

I see no point in chucking it just yet while it serves its purpose, but having recently bought a 12v charger for my Macbook I think its travelling days may be numbered.

15. bfudge69

bfudge69 New commenter

Adding more RAM will help but if you want free solutions: -
    Do a virus check(if you don't have one then AVG has a good free one)
    Delete programmes you no longer use.
    Download, install and run CCleaner from http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/
    Do the cleaner and the registry checker(it will offer to do a re-start point, agree to this)
    Check your startup list (it can be found either in CCleaner under tools or by clicking Start>Run and typing MSCONFIG into the box. Click startup.) Open google and put each of your processes into google and you will get information about whether or not you need it running.
    Do a disk defrag.
    If you want to measure your success then you can time your machine starting up before and after taking tese steps.

16. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

I hardly ever use a laptop these days using my iMac for work if needed and my iPad for leisure, travel etc Keep it going for another two years and you might find the species redundant.

17. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Sounds like Trigger's broom for Only Fools and Horses. Or "my grandfather's axe".

18. Just replaced my laptop which I think was about 5 years or so old and the difference is amazing - and that's despite being brutal what I installed, keeping it defragged and virus free etc etc. Tipping point was when the machine had started to run so hot that not even two fans pointed at it kept it bearable. It won't be scrapped though - will get cleaned out, reformatted and if the temperature issues are fixable - it'll get passed on to someone or a communty project or something or other - computers keep doing the rounds in our family (like cars - only with computers I tend to have the shiniest and newest). Heck we've still got one somewhere running windows 3.1 that works in the family!
    Yes I COULD have got a few more years out of it - but there's such joy in a new shiny gadget as well (and this one's red)! It matches my netbook which I've had SOOOOO much use out of since I bought it - but wanted a bit more power yet still portable so went for the laptop as well. I don't spend cash on fancy holidays or nights out - but I do like to spend my money on nice shiny electronic gadgets.
    If you think yours is on its way out - back everything up just in case (always good to do anyway). On supply I spotted the classroom teacher laptop was showing signs it was about to start dying and managed to get the IT tech to run a backup with the result that we saved the class teacher's work documents as it went kaput soon after.