1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I have had it checked?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by mammal, Feb 13, 2012.

1. I fell in the ice and injured my arm 4 days ago. I decided that no bones were broken and didn't have it checked. It's still uncomfortable and I am having trouble sleeping. I had trouble changing gear on a short car journey and also can't open drawers or jars etc. I'm not sure if I should be using it or resting it. I still don't think any bones are broken, but wonder how long the discomfort will last.

2. I think if it was broken, you would be in a lot more pain ... Personally I would wait a while to see if it settles down. Take some pain killers if necessary. I remember (back when I was a teenager), I fell off a horse and hurt my collar bone. It hurt really badly for several weeks and I had trouble lying on that side. But it did eventually resolve. If you experience swelling, redness, heat, worsening pain, definitely get it looked at. Hope you feel better soon.

3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Have to disagree. I'd get it checked.

4. Are you my mum? She said exactly that when I returned home shortly after leaving for school when I was about 10. I'd fallen on ice and told her I thought I'd broken my wrist. She told me I'd be in a lot more pain if it was broken and sent me back out to go to school. It was only later when my teacher looked at it that I was sent to hospital where it was xrayed and found to be broken.
    I think that skewed my thinking for ever because I walked about on a fractured thigh for about 6 weeks after my newly resurfaced hip fractured. I didn't know how much pain was normal and thought a fractured thigh would be more painful than the pain I was experiencing.
    OP - if it's still bothering you it's not too late to get it checked.

5. Thanks for advice - I think I'll see how it is tomorrow and then get it checked if still hurting.

6. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

If it's any consolation have recently had a similar exerpeince, and it was not broken - however you should get it x-rayed.
    I fell on January 4th, landing on my forearm. Immediatee hideous bruising and egg-shaped swelling. Casualty x-rayed, all clear. I was unconvinced, 3 days later went back, as changing gear, opening doors etc really painful. Refused to re-x-ray no clinical need. I was convinced they were wrong and it was broken. Went to doctors one month after fall, and he said, no breaks, just deep tissue bruising, and they throw a six week figure at soft tissue injury. Up until last week it was difficult, and the week before was still having excruciating stabbing pains. Doctor explained it by bruise (pool of blood) pressing on a nerve.
    It is six weeks today, and mostly okay, but still tender to the touch, abd still slightly swollen, <u>but he was right</u>, it took six weeks, and I was convinced it had broken. In fact am still expecting an x-ray a few years down the line for something else and the Dr, tonotice an old fracture, but they say not.
    Get it checked out, but if it is not broken, by all means breathe a sigh of relief, but also expect a long recovery. Good luck.

7. Thanks for that - it was interesting to hear from someone who has been through something similar. It will be a week tomorrow and it is still at the same level of discomfort. I couldn't pick up my baby grandaughter today, but I still think that I haven't actually broken it. I'm hoping that it improves in less than six weeks though. It's been good that it has been half term, which has given me more chance to rest it.
    I don't live near A and E so I shall not get it checked unless something really makes me become more concerned. I shall definitely be avoiding ice in future!

8. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

See - bones are funny things. I was in complete agony and nothing! Sorry to hear it is broken with you -but it must be on the non-serious side of things I would have thought, for them to being you back tomorrow rather than scream in hooror and admit you immediately. I do hope you get some respite- my bruising made it painful to do everything from wiping my bum to turning over in bed.[​IMG], so you have my entire sympathies.
    Best wishes for a quick and uncomplicated recovery. [​IMG]

9. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I had a similar experience to Dominant Tonic. I dropped a glass bottle filled with olive oil on my bare foot a couple of years ago. The bottle didn't smash, but it did leave a MASSIVE bruise and swelling on the top of my foot. I couldn't walk, put a shoe on, put my foot down on the flooor....I was utterly convinced it was broken. But lo and behold, had the Xray and not broken.
    I couldn't believe it, given the amount of pain I was in. And especially considering when I actually HAD broken my foot a few years ago, it didn't hurt nearly as much as this did! I felt like a right *** hobbling around work as if I'd burned the bottom of my foot and then having to explain that it was 'just badly bruised'.
    That said, I really do think the best advice it to go and get it checked out. A friend of mine badly injured her ankle 2 years ago. She was told it was ligament damge and was told to rest it for a few days then walk on it as soon as possible. 2 years later, she was still not able to fully bend her ankle and walk comfortably, so she returned and insisted on an Xray. Guess what....the ankle was broken! And then the doctors had the nerve to insist that she must have broken her ankle in the past and not realised; they tried to claim it wasn't related to this injury at all!
    Get it checked!

10. I went back today and I only have to wear a sling and take it off when I feel able, which is most of the time for me! The doctor said the bone was already mending in the time since the injury. I just have to avoid heavy lifting or pushing. I an fine using it most of the time and then do something which makes me yell 'ouch!' And yes I will get it checked sooner if it ever happens again.