1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I have filled out the Equal Ops form when applying?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by silenceapres3, Feb 12, 2017.

1. silenceapres3

silenceapres3 New commenter

I recently applied for a job and included in the electronic application pack was an Equal Opportunities monitoring form. I have filled these in before, but always on a piece of paper which is then put in a sealed, unmarked envelope and seen by one person after I have been recruited. This was an electronic form and as I filled out details about my age, marital status, sexuality, gender and race, I did wonder where it was going in the internet ether. Can I politely refuse to fill these in until I have been offered a job in future? What is best practice with these forms? Many thanks!

2. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

It is my understanding that such a form would be 'detached' from your application on receipt and kept separately. I am under the impression that those deciding upon the shortlist etc. would not see this information. I would assume that all unsuccessful applicants' forms would be permanently deleted.

3. silenceapres3

silenceapres3 New commenter

Thanks ViolaClef. If I am unsuccessful I shall ask the school to destroy my form, and in future I shall politely decline to fill it in until I have been offered the job.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I always fill it in...don't really care too much.
    If it was a school that cares two hoots about my ethnicity/gender/religion/sexual orientation, I'd not want to work there anyway.
    Most schools just detach it and file it away to add to statistics if anyone ever asks.
    If they do more than that, wouldn't want the post.