1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I have a TLR?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by girlw0nder, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Hi all,

It would seem that everyone has a TLR at my place - except me :(

I am head of Drama (I teach every lesson except one class which is taken by another member of staff). I have had to write every SOW as there was nothing at all when I arrived, so I have had to develop the whole curriculum for KS3, 4 and 5. I work in a SEN school and I had to write the Drama P-Levels, contribute to the SEF, write the drama policy from scratch as well as the usual!

I also spend extra time outside school hours on the school show, and giving our students opportunities that are above and beyond school expectations. All my lesson obs have been outstanding and drama contributes to the progress of every child throughout the school. I am currently developing community links with Drama, English and our local mainstream primary school.

Do you think I should have a TLR?

There are people at our place with TLRs coming out their ears and they don't do half the stuff I do (same old!!!!)

Any advice would be appreciated,

Thank you x

2. Hi all,

It would seem that everyone has a TLR at my place - except me :(

I am head of Drama (I teach every lesson except one class which is taken by another member of staff). I have had to write every SOW as there was nothing at all when I arrived, so I have had to develop the whole curriculum for KS3, 4 and 5. I work in a SEN school and I had to write the Drama P-Levels, contribute to the SEF, write the drama policy from scratch as well as the usual!

I also spend extra time outside school hours on the school show, and giving our students opportunities that are above and beyond school expectations. All my lesson obs have been outstanding and drama contributes to the progress of every child throughout the school. I am currently developing community links with Drama, English and our local mainstream primary school.

Do you think I should have a TLR?

There are people at our place with TLRs coming out their ears and they don't do half the stuff I do (same old!!!!)

Any advice would be appreciated,

Thank you x

3. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Yes you should have a TLR for that. Otherwise just do your normal job and see how SMT manage then.

4. henriette

henriette New commenter

only if the school's staffing structure policy says so.
    If it does, you should.
    If it doesn't, you can raise the issue with the Head.

5. 576

576 Established commenter

The thing is - apart from that 1 person - everything else you do benefits you.
    In the days before TLRs I knew a chap who got a responsibility point for being 'in charge' of a language only he taught. So basically he was in charge of his own lessons & classes!!! [​IMG]
    You had to develop the whole curriculum but because there's only you there it means you get to teach what you think is best - jammy that! [​IMG]
    Your lessons being outstanding isn't really relevant.
    You may find this useful reading.
    http://www.atl.org.uk/pay/TLR-and-allowances/tlr-allowances.asp

6. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I feel your pain, I really do.... I was a head of drama prior to the days of the TLR and the restructuring saw my role diminished to that of 'teacher'. Many schools do recognise the unique teaching and learning responsibility that comes as part of the role, but in short, many do not and the argument often comes down to the fact that you don't line manage anyone in a solo department. Basically, if the role doesn't come with on as determined by your schools structure, then it simply doesn't come with one.

7. Thanks for all your replies. Certainly food for thought. I suppose the most frustrating this for me is the job was advertised with a TLR but I was never offered it!! I think I'll speak to my line manager and see what she thinks.

Thanks again x

8. I suppose it could be suggested that you should have sorted this out before accepting the position.

9. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If the job was advertised with a TLR, it's rather odd that that was not then given to you. It woould be worth checking the school's staffing structure, which should indicate whether or not the post should have a TLR. TLRs belong to posts, not people.

10. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

Not just pre TLRs my last school had at least 3 subject heads who were a dept of one paid a TLR. (450 ish sized middle school) My new school has far fewer TLR posts and many subject leaders are not paid a TLR. So it is obviously down to school/governers choice as to where the money is spent!