1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I hand in notice today?!!!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by kjh498, May 29, 2020.

1. kjh498

kjh498 Occasional commenter

want to hand my notice in today.

But have I paid off my mat leave pay please?

I took a whole year off. I was full time. Then I went back 3 days a week on march 23rd, if I hand in notice today, I'll leave August 31st.

Help gratefully received.
    I worked it out as yes I have butI'm doubting myself!

2. DFC

DFC New commenter

Ring your HR dept and ask them to check and confirm by email.

Then just do it!

Or just do it anyway... you mind is made up based on your post so don’t let money get in the way of happiness.

saluki, agathamorse and Lalad like this.
  3. kjh498

Awww thanks

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

How about requesting in the first paragraph to go back to FT teaching from the last day of term? Then resign in second paragraph.

It might not be possible, depending on the conditions for your pt teaching, and even if it were possible, they might not agree, as it would cost them more.

But if they did agree, you'd get full pay for the hols and more days added to your return to work total. Worth a try, but don't pin your hopes on it.

Keep safe, everyone.

5. kjh498

I've been back since 23rd march 3 days

6. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

Get your union advice before you resign. I can’t see the school paying you a salary over the summer- it costs them more! Think what do you need more, happiness or wealth?

7. Cantwaittogo

Cantwaittogo New commenter

Of course the OP will be paid over the summer; why wouldn't they be?

8. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I reckon that's 23 clear calendar weeks, so 69 working days, which gives a margin over the 65 required.

I can't see a school agreeing to make someone full-time again over the summer - they've no obligation to even consider it. However provided the OP resigns "with effect from 31st August" they'll be paid over the summer for the 3 days a week.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. DFC

DFC New commenter

So ... did you take the plunge?

10. skellig1182

skellig1182 Senior commenter

Your head may wave it anyway. Least of their worries at the moment.xx