1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I go ?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Curvy1, May 16, 2011.

1. I've been a headteacher in a primary school for a year (satisfactory last 2 Ofsteds). I have a really challenging bunch of teachers, it's more like a social club than a school. They are negative about changing anything. Just had Ofsted and satisfactory again. All teaching was judged satisfactory. No one wants to improve. Deputy waiting to retire in 4 years time. Chair of governors is very close to most of the teachers and is quite undermining (has had a meeting about me with the staff behind my back). I really don't like working there anymore. Pretty stressed. I think we would have been better if the school had been put into notice to improve.
    Just been encouraged to apply for a deputy headship in a large primary school. I'm really tempted but not sure how to explain leaving my headship ? The head understands my current situation and knows my school has had problems with militant teachers for years (a fact I wasn't told - governors painted a very glossy picture of the school).
    Do I need to get a reference from my current LA or could I use one from my last LA (which is just less than a year old) ?

Any advice would be appreciated

2. I sympathise. Heads keep quiet about bullying aimed at them but it goes on, especially in your situation. You are pretty helpless as you cam be the scapegoat for their inadequacy. New school, entrenched bad practice etc. Facing arrogance and aggression on a large scale is bloody tough. I can't believe the governor who sides with them! What a... Some stay put and fight but at a high personal cost. Sounds like a good option to side step the grief & this other Head is obviously interested in your skills and feels they could work with you. Don't ignore the last year in your interview- talk about what you have reflected upon as a result. Think of all your achievements in both recent schools. Have a plan B too- new school might have issues of it's own to contend with!

3. Get reference from both. If you get to write a letter to resign then just state facts. Got a new job. Here's my notice. In school newsletter say Thankyou to PTA, kids and hope they find someone to continue building the school for wonderful children. Don't say anything about why. Leave everyone wondering and maybe starting to question.

4. As I've only been in post short time, who would I get a reference from in my current L.A. ? I'm not very well known as it's a very large L.A. Will the school I've applied to speak to the Chair of Governors ? I haven't told anyone at school yet and the interview is coming up

5. Your current LA has to give one if you are a Head. Maybe ask last head & someone you know well who you have worked with. 3 views with 2 brilliant should help! LA have to be careful as you can ask to see references.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Curvy - go to the JobSeekers Forum, open the Welcome thread, and read the shortlisting clickables. they will remind you of the important points about writing an effective application.
    But before you do, write a list of all the things that you HAVE achieved in the school (don't include not throttling the Chair of Govs!), all the ways that you have improved the whole experience for the pupils and for the community.
    Partly for your application, and partly to make you feel better . . .
    Best wishes

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.

A new SLT seminar is available now on 22 May <u>www.tesweekendworkshop32.eventbrite.com</u>, and another is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!