1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I go ahead?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by musiclover1, Dec 1, 2011.

1. musiclover1

musiclover1 New commenter

I have a slightly disaffected but on the whole rather manageable year 9 German class of 19 boys who have recently shown somewhat improved behaviour. Therefore, as a treat, I thought I'd organise for them to bake bisquits next Thursday afternoon (MFL lesson, follow a German recipe, learn about the culture of another country by baking their typical dish etc). This is not the kind of thing that I've ever done before but I thought I'd try it and it would be interesting and different. I suppose I'm trying to prove to them that I'm not a boring teacher and my lessons are worth behaving for.
    When I talked to the class about it today, asking them to bring £1 next lesson for the ingredients, three individuals put their hands up straightaway, saying they didn't want to do this activity. I think I said something like 'those people who don't bring the pound or don't behave will be doing worksheets instead' - I can't exactly remember, but in any case they responded by saying that they'd prefer to do the worksheets.
    So, what do I do now? I feel like cancelling the whole thing because if I've organised something that involves loads of effort for me as a treat, and actually it isn't, why bother?
    But then, that means showing weakness because I'm pandering to what a minority of disaffected individuals a're requesting.
    Plus, do I really want to supervise people doing worksheets while trying to do a cookery lesson?
    So, do I force everyone to do the cooking (that then leaves the problem of what I do with the people who won't have brought in the money), do I cancel the whole thing, or do I do baking with some of them while the rest are doing worksheets?
    I see them once more before Thursday (on Monday) and then I'll have to tell them what's happening.

2. Go ahead with the cookery -you can't cancel that now.
    Can you ask one of your colleagues to have the 'worksheet' candidates sitting at the backof their class? Or the library ? or somewhere?
    You may discover that the 'worksheet candidates' decide to join you & scavenge a quid from somewhere when they realise that they really are excusing themselves from the fun & frolics.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Really big this up to them and to their form teacher. Send messages to be read in registration time about bringing the money, get the form teacher on board for this. Make a big fuss in your next lesson about mentioning all the fab children who have brought the money in and how excited you are to be doing something so great. They are teenagers, so won't show the same excitement you might feel, but keep with it for the majority of the class.

And I'd do the same as Hadron, send a sympathetic colleague/HOD the few that haven't brought money. Make it clear to pupils that if they don't pay then they don't cook.

Enjoy it and concentrate on the massive majority of lovely ones. I know it is hard to do sometimes, but you have to.

4. I think you should get some advice over in the DT forum, I'm a DT teacher, but not Food. I think your problem is hygiene. Where will the kids wash their hands? Will the room and the ovens be cleaned before their use? If you don't intend letting them taste or take the food home then there is no concern, but this will probably cause you more problems.

How about also posting in MFL? There could be a similar activity which you haven't thought of that could prove successful.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We have done cooking in class and had no issues with hygiene certificates and the like. Some schools are fussy, but some are not.

You could do a biscuit/sweet that doesn't require actual cooking. To be honest children like making anything that is edible, putting it in an oven and waiting is not usually necessary.

6. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I'm an MFL teacher and, whilst I applaud your initiative (would the recipes be written in German?), this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Much better if you had a proper kitchen and could do something cross-curricular with Food Tech staff, but you don't.
    I would have a rethink. Have you looked at the German Christmas resources on this website or elsewhere? You should be able to find something stimulating there.

7. I did something like this on a PGCE placement, for French, but we had to have the food technician in the room with us - to teh OP, do you have something similar at your school?