1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I give up teaching?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by andrena1984, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Any advice would be appreciated:
    I completed my PGCE Primary last year and have been working as a supply teacher since September. My 4 term time limit will end in December. I don't know what to do as my supply work has dried up, even with 3 agencies, and I can't afford to live like this for much longer. I live in a competitive area, the north-east of England, and so getting a job to start my NQT year is hard. I have not even started yet. Question is do I apply for an extension even though I can't afford to do it anymore and I get anxious waiting for that call every morning? Can barely sleep. Can I ask for an extension in a year or two or does it have to be immediate? I'm guessing the later. I understand I can still apply for jobs outside of this period but it's unlikely I'll get a job when not in the profession when I couldn't when actually employed e.g supply. I also don't agree that other jobs in the profession is helpful as I worked TA in one school for 3 month and went to an interview. They were not impressed that I had spent my time in this role. It may work if a job came up in the same school but it is equally likely they will still not employ you. This has happened to some friends. Also TA jobs are as equally cometitive where I live. 150 applicants for a typical teaching job. I feel stuck inbetween a rock and a hard place and no idea what to do. Ouside of teaching I have don't feel I have much to offer as my A-levels were art, music and history. My degree is in music, and although history based most employers assme I merely perfom music. Feeling very lost and in need of advice. Does anyone else find this a problem? Yet the government are still saying there is a shortage of teachers. I don't want to move away as I need to be home for medical reasons. Thanx.

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Think again about moving, even if only on a temporary basis. If you could get a job in an area where there is a need for teachers, you would be in a stronger position when a vacancy near home is advertised. Being blunt, if there are no jobs, your prospects can only get worse because every year there will be another batch of prospective NQTs with more recent training. Working as a TA may be better than nothing financially, it doesn't really help on an application. A supply extension would be sensible if there was supply but, from what you say, it isn't and that's another thing that can only get worse. How far would you have to move to be in an area where here are jobs that you would be well qualified for?

3. Im a trainee teacher in my final year, and im worried about my job prospects too. However, if there are jobs going for TA work and you can not get supply DO NOT turn your nose up at these. My friend worked as a TA for 4 years ( yes 4 years) and all tho this is not ideal, she was offered a job within the school. Dont stay out of education if this is what you want to do!!

4. Hi. I'm also in the North East (though not an NQT). I agree that being a TA is not much help - in fact from my time on supply I remember thatteachers who took on TA assignments were from then on more likely to be offered TA jobs and the teaching ones went to those who refused to take anything other than teaching.
    Yes. you can't lose anything by having been granted an extension.
    Don't wait for the call - call the agency yourself. This way, first of all, you are in control of when the conversation is going to take place. Secondly, if an agent is working down a list while you call them, you will probably get the job even if there were several names on the list before yours. You will find that people who are on supply will often be registered with 8-10 agencies and they call all of them all the time (unless they already have a job for that day/week.
    which gives you a good chance to do some private tutoring. You could do it through an agency - or get yourself a domain name, build a website, register online as self-employed and off you go. You can keep the business even if you get a job in the meantime and running yoir own business looks a lot better on a CV than "unemployed" or "supply".
    There is. Not in the North east, where birth rates are falling; and not in primary.
    Well, "home" is where you decide to live - and the health service in the North East does not exactly come out at the top in the UK... What I mean to say is that if you don't want to move, don't. But stay for the real reason, if you see what I mean. Anyway, good luck, keep us posted if you can.

5. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

Whilst you are getting no supply work you should be signing on for JSA. You would only need to close down your claim in weeks when your work hours were over 16 hours per week (your Benefit Week, not necessarily a calendar week).
    Your supply limit of 16 months will extend into january 2012 if you didn't get work immediately in Sept 2010. If you got your first supply day on 18th Sept, for example, your allowance expires on 17th january.
    Extensions are uaually applied to the end of your initial allowance. Phone the LA and ask if they will consider an extension further down the line if you have a break from teaching because there is so little work around.

6. cleggy1611

cleggy1611 New commenter

Hi. I remember my days on supply well and I live in the north east. I barely got any work from the many agencies I was with so, every morning I phoned the county council and asked if there was any work going for that day. After the first week of doing this I was on first name terms with the staff and they started to ring me first. It turned out so well that a half day supply ended in a year contract so I finished my nqt year.

7. Offer yourself for private theory tuition in secondary schools - there must be a need, especially for those studying GCSEs, and its another foot in the door and could lead to a stop-gap position in secondary school (either as a music peri, music teacher, or even history teacher!) - just get yourself out there and noticed :)

8. i think just keep at it, as there have been so many cuts, its hard for those of us who are new to the profession, as we are competing with people who have been teaching for many years,

im in the north east, but im applying for teaching jobs all over the country and im yet to get an interview, the feedback i get, if they actually give me any at all, is that there were around 100 applicants and most had been teaching already,

im applying for alternative jobs in education and as long as you are working with students, i do not see how that is detrimental (my qualification is for FE only, age 14 and above)

many who completed the course when i did are in the same position, and are having to just survive on JSA and offer to volunteer to gain the experience,

it is a tough time for sure, but if teaching is what you really want just keep at it. i am sure you are more likely to get a job compared to someone who just gave up,

so don't lose heart, so many of us are in your position, we just need to ride this wave and keep going

9. I never minded working as a TA and I found it useful until it came to interview and it was cast aside by the school really. The more I do the more out of the loop I feel. I live in the centre of the northeast so I cross over 5 local authorities so thought it wouldn't be this bad. Yeah I feel like my nose is being put out by the new NQT's with my agencies too. It's such a worry. Reading all the comments I guess I should at least apply for the extension even if I don't end up using it. Can't move far away coz my treatment took 7 years to get going in first place coz I moved to uni and home etc so was always put to the back of the queue each time I moved as it's not life threatening. Thanx to everyone for their advice though.

10. One other thing: where are you looking for jobs? Check the council websites (all 5) regularly because advertising there is free for the schools whereas TES and the Chronicle cost a lot. If you check council websites you'll find that only a fraction of the jobs finds its way into the Chronicle on Thursdays, for example.

11. Im not an NQT but was looking on here for advice for my NQT. I am SLT in my school and we would def look more favourably on an NQT who had been in education whatever the role than and NQT who had no experience in education bar the PGCE.

However you have to be realistic- you dont say a lot about your personal circumstances but....if you are without ties (e.g. children, husband/wife, house) then would you not move to London or somewhere to get the experience that will give you the edge when jobs come up back home. To be fair we get EVERY weekend off and a weeks hols or more every six weeks...its not that bad. I have moved countries to get work hence ending up in London but I look at it as a few weeks here then home for a vist etc. Teachers in London get extremely well paid too.
    You either want to teach or you dont- with the jobs market the way it is you cant afford to be choosy...you need to go where the work is. It wont just fall into your lap

12. I have been in the same situation. I qualified in April 2009 and worked on supply since the September. I applied for an ext and it was granted and I got known in various places. Registering with a few agencies is best so there is more than one agency ringing each day. I was not the only one and we pondered over the fact that being on supply so long would look bad and as one person was told in interview if you were that good you would have a job by now! I have been soo down over this and considered giving up myself. I tried getting into lecturing too but lack of experience hindered this even tho in interview I was told it was the best lesson they had ever seen! But still I didn't get it! I thought of tutoring and have done TA supply also so to still be gaining different experience and still be in employment. I have just started my first term covering maternity at a school I supplied at and the head offered it to me straight away. Hold in there, it seems hopeless at times but I am sure we will all get a break one day! And you can have more than one ext if your first runs out, I know of ppl who have had this due to the current job situation LEA's tend to be more lenient! Good Luck!

13. Perhaps you could research an area where there are more jobs, and then actually contact a GP in the area you are thinking about living in. They may be able to advise you about getting your ongoing treatment transferred? Then look for a place to rent in the most sympathetic GP's catchment area. The NHS is suppposed to be national. I was in a similar situation; I moved several counties away and my new GP referred me to a new hospital.
    Setting up as a self-employed tutor is also a good idea, even if you only get the occasional student, it is all experience. Just advertise, and don't worry about tax, etc. until after the work comes in. There are websites that have lots of advice for private tutors, try google.

14. Can't agree more with the majority of these posts! I'm an NQT, just started my induction year and moving away was the best thing I've ever done! Did my training in Sheffield, and despite good references, 6 months of interviews brought no joy. I decided to take the leap to London because i heard i might have more luck. I applied to 2 schools, the next day i had an interview, and by 11:30 that morning was hired. Now i'm not saying you'll be so lucky, but it is definitely worth a shout. If you come from a competitive area that will only go in your favour. Obviously i don't know your medical reasons so i'm sorry if this all seems insensitive but i really wouldn't rule it out.