1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Should I get holiday pay if contract being renewed?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by jillbrumby, May 20, 2011.

  1. I have been employed full time in a sixth form college for 2 terms up until Easter to cover for a maternity leave. I have passed UPS 3 but was offered the post on condition that thresholds would not be payed. Since Easter, the postholder has not returned but has supplied sick notes and so my employment has been extended until the 7th July when term ends as she is not expected to return to teach earlier.
    The postholder has asked to return on a 0.5 contract and the college has offered me the other 0.5.
    My question is this: should I now be entitled to holiday pay for part of the summer as technically this is now covering for sickness and not maternity. Also can the college stop one fixed term contract and restart in september or should they be continuously employing me. Lastly, can they then also employ me to the last day of term next year without paying me for the summer holidays.
    I am not sure if I am being ungrateful or hard done by here. I will already have lost almost £9,000 by the end of the 12 months when the lack of UPS and pay over the holidays is taken into account.
    Any advice?
     
  2. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    Contact your Union. I don't see how they can not pay you your correct pay point. Paying you below it is detrimental to you now financially and also in retirement (if the changes to pension based on career average pay come in).
    They seem to be only paying you to cover the teacher absence days so I guess that your employment will cease as of the 7th July. Any 0.5 contract is then likely to have a September start date. I that's the case, claim JSA over the summer.
    You also need to know the pay point they are planning for you in September.
    When do they want a decision about you taking the 0.5 post? Make them wait as long as you can for a decision as you need advice and time to consider your options. How likely are they to make concessions if you decline their offer, telling them that you want to pursue work at your proper rate with holiday pay?
     
  3. Your right - what I need to do is to establish the pay point and whether it is at least a 12 month contract next year or whether they are hoping to pay me less or stop the contract early again and not pay for summer.
    If conditions are right for next year then it'd probably worth just getting over it for this year. If not then there's less to lose by declining.
    Thanks for the advice
     

Share This Page