1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I get an office for being a head of humanities at a primary school?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by teachingking123, Nov 16, 2015.

1. teachingking123

teachingking123 Established commenter

Question is the title.;)

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Never heard of a Head of Humanities at a primary school
    Never heard of a Head of anything at a primary school
    Never heard of anyone having an office in a primary school ( apart from the actual Head-who often shares with the admin staff, I know of one Head who shared his office with the photocopier)

Delusions of grandeur spring to mind!

3. teachingking123

Sorry @CarrieV. I meant coordinator.

4. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Why should you?

5. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Can you demonstrate an absolute practical need?
    If so, is there a spare room available, and can you explain why this room's other potential uses are less valuable than as an office for you?
    If no spare room, then can you justify the budget to build one, and explain why the money shouldn't be spent on other needs of the school?

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

If you're going to start these made-up problem threads, at least have the decency to think them out and get it right in your thread title.

7. teachingking123

Yes. Oh yes. I am now quitting the TES. Well done ever so well done!

8. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Promise?

9. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Head of Humanities at primary school? My My My.....
    I just can't see the need for that role, possibly a 'Co-ordinator' but that's a bit excessive for such a small environment.
    Do the Head of Maths, English and Science have offices? If not, then the answer would probably be no... You could just use your classroom desk. Secondary School HOD's don't have offices neither so can't see why it would be necessary.
    After all, you are just a standard teacher with managerial responsibilities!

10. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

What exactly are you planning to do in your office ?

11. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Again?

sabrinakat likes this.
  12. digoryvenn

I don't think they will hear us Lizzie as apparently they have quit!

13. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Like he did last time eh?

sabrinakat likes this.
  14. digoryvenn

Exactly!

15. dookiedaveuk

dookiedaveuk New commenter

16. teachingking123

17. teachingking123

18. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

@teachingking123 I'm sorry you felt the need to threaten quitting TES because you didn't get the answer you really wanted.

If there is a space available and it makes your ability to do your role more effective then there is no reason why you could not request it as an 'office'.

In my first HoD role my 'office' was actually a former toilet with the actual loo removed but the sink and rather ancient sanitary towel incinerator remaining. It was a place to store files with a desk squeezed in though I spent little time there. The biggest ego enhancer was getting the job done well.

19. frustum

frustum Star commenter

There's little point in using space on an office that will only be used for an hour a week. If you need somewhere to store resources, that's perhaps a different question, and there might be sense in having somewhere that is where humanities resources are located. On the other hand, if topics are allocated to particular years, it may make more sense for most resources to be stored by the year group concerned, and you may only need a few shelves for more general resources.

20. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

In the rebuild/refurb of our school, all office space for non-core heads of department were taken away. We do have subject based work rooms to share though - the advantage being that you are with your team when free.