1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I expect more to have been done?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by hbee1, Feb 3, 2020.

1. hbee1

hbee1 New commenter

Need some advice please!

After a cover lesson last week, I was followed out of the classroom by a boy from the class and his friend, who had not been in the class. (I have issues with being used for cover as a subject teacher, but...)

The boy who hadn't been in the class followed me and started to kick my bag on purpose. I asked him to stop, to which he replied 'Oh, calm down, miss'. I walked a bit faster to try and get away from him, and he ran to catch up with me and kicked my bag again. This time, he was seen by a Senior Leader, a Deputy Head. He asked the boy if he'd been trying to intimidate a member of staff, to which the student replied 'I wasn't hurting her though.'

Deputy Head took student to the isolation/behaviour room and I went to my next lesson.

I later emailed to ask what had happened and had been told the student had written me an apology letter. This student regularly comes into the back of my room at the end of lesson and disrupts things if he has already been let out, and this bag-kicking was another incident from him.

Should I expect more to be done, especially as a member of SLT had witnessed the behaviour? The student is in Year 9.

Help!

2. bookeater

bookeater Occasional commenter

What you need is feedback on what has happened.

Out of interest what is your role in the school?
    Have you been given the letter of apology?
    Did you fill in an incident report? (Or whatever the school uses)
    Do you need to log down when the boy comes into your lessons when he shouldn't be, then ask what should be done to stop this happening?

The boy needs to be told in front of you what he should not be doing so that he knows and you know.
    Who is in charge of "behavior" is it head of year or a specific Snr teacher?
    Do you have a line manager you can go to?
    Are you a member of a union?

I left a previous school due to poor behavior management.