1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I even bother?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Scribbles10, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Sorry for the despondency of this post :-(
    I have been applying for jobs for months and havent even had an interview. I think it is because I am UPS but only been working sporadically on supply for the past 2years because I have been also looking after my daughter. So I am expensive (and possibly bad at applications, though I do follow the advice on here to the letter and have had 2 heads look at my applications and no-one can find fault).
    I have just seen a job advertised to which I would like to apply. However, they specifically welcome NQTs and also state the the partner teacher is highly experienced. Will I be wasting my (very precious as I am in the middle of moving house) time applying for it?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If it specifically states 'NQTs welcome' as it usually means there are budgetory restrictions especially if the partner teacher is experienced.
    So if you're pushed for time (moving house) I don't know that I would waste too much time on an application but possibly 'tweak' one you have previously used to address the issues of the particular school, but it is worth submitting one -you never know?

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

My experience is that if they say NQTs welcome then the only way they will appoint a really expensive UPS teacher is if all the other applicants are entirely useless, which is very unlikely.

I wouldn't bother myself. I did a few times a couple of years back and it was a pointless waste of time.

4. Thanks. I think I will leave it. Especially as the other teacher is experienced - they won't need/be able to afford another experienced teacher. I'm in an area where there are 100+ applicants so it's unlikely that they will all be useless.....*sigh*........beginning to wonder whether I will EVER teach again........
    On a slightly separate but related note...is it even worth applying for jobs when they say MPS? Are they not willing to consider UPS?

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I think MPS includes UPS, but that's just something I remember reading somewhere and willing to stand corrected?
    Really for UPS one has to be looking at posts of responsiility;which when one has only been on supply recenly is really hard to do.