1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I do my NQT year?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Urbanfaerie, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Urbanfaerie

Urbanfaerie Occasional commenter

I (stupidly) went for supply teaching after my PGCE, and had some horrible experiences, leading me to quit teaching for a while.
    I took a job last year working in an independant special school (working one on one with students, not in classes) but assumed that NQT year wasn't possible for me as I'd heard it said that you had to do it within two years or start the entire PGCE from scratch again.
    I've recently heard that I CAN still do my NQT year (although still not 100% that it's reliable information) and am beginning to wonder if I should go for it.
    What is NQT year like, and should I go for it?

2. Hi I'm quite sure you can still do it. I'd say go for it, since you've completed your training, but be prepared as it can be a very tough year. It does depend of course on the sort of person you are and the school you're in but you'll be pleased you did it by the end!
    Choose your school carefully.
    The best of luck to you if you decide to go for it.
    Sarbon

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Absolutely not true and never was the case!
    Your PGCE qualification and QTS are yours for life , even if your were to fail Induction.
    It's never been possible to re-take a PGCE course that you have previously passed.
    There is no time limit at all on starting or completing Induction.
    There USED to be a 5 year 'expectation' of completing Induction after starting it but thta was abolished on 1st Sept 2007. You now take as long as you like or as long as it takes.
    You are still bound by the 16 month supply limit (dating from the first day of qualified teaching work in the State 5-16 sector) and by any extension granted by an LA/s. If still within those limits when the new 5 year supply allowance comes onstream later this year (once legally set up) you can avail yourself of a 5 year period for supply teaching, dating from that first supply day in the State sector.
    When any allowances are use dup and you still haven't completed Induction, you cannot teach in the State 5-16 sector again unless it's on Induction.
    Of course, you may secure an Induction post soon, in the State or private sectors and won't need any supply allowances.

4. As noted above, there has never been any such ruling on induction. Induction can be taken in trhe state or private sector (though it is optional in the private sector). Working on a one to one basis would not count for induction, but any other secured teaching post may beeligible for induction. There is no time limit for starting or finishing induction.
    The Sage

5. RamC

RamC New commenter

Well... there are almost 3000 teaching jobs in the UK currently being advertised here on TES. Passing induction is all about proving competence in meeting the teaching standards. If you have been teaching for the past year, you will not have any difficulty in collecting evidence to meet the standards, and there are only a few other bits. I would say go for it if you can. Good luck.

6. Dear Sage,

Can you please clarify why you cannot complete an induction working on a one to one basis, or provide a link if possible to where I can find out more about it?

Also, what if your working a mix of one to one and work with small groups (2-4)?

Thanks, any help would be much appreciated.

7. You have just made me incredibly happy whilst on the verge of giving up. I believed I only had 5 years to complete induction and haven't been able to get a long enough position to complete any and was on the verge of giving up. Will have more enthusiasm while writing this letter of application now with a lead weight lifted. (although I still realise that being on supply forever doesn't look great on app forms)

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/s/statutory%20guidance%20on%20induction%20for%20newly%20qualified%20teachers%20nqts%20in%20england.pdf
    Page 5 has a paragraph thta makes it clear that NQTs on Induction have to be teaching classes of children.