1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I do it?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by vickialice11, Dec 31, 2019.

1. vickialice11

vickialice11 New commenter

I disagree on this. I have done all of these things however, at 29 national trust and english heritage are not the most exciting thing in the world. I am a member of activities and I do everything in my local area which is very little other than walking places.

I will be honest I want an adventure, its something new. I want an opportunity to find new things. I did consider a move somewhere like London or something but I'm not sure.

ejclibrarian likes this.
  2. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

You are obviously very bored.

Log off this forum, start applying for jobs, stop delaying it and start the leap! Be it in London or somewhere else in the world.

3. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

Last year I went on holidays and trips so much I took over 30 flights. Terrible carbon footprint but I've had adventures that I couldn't have had when I was working in the UK. You might hate it, you might love it but you just won't know unless you try!
    Feel free to PM me with questions.

4. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

It's not all exciting working obroad you know. Sure, you are within visiting distance of some exotic places and you will experience new cultures etc....but at the end of the day you are working and your working week will be like any other..work,shop,sleep etc.The savings potential can be better of course but that doesn't seem to be what you're after.
    If you have a job you're happy with in the UK (and that seems like a rarity) then stick with it and get yourself away for some exciting holidays.

If you want a touch of reality about international teaching..spend 25 dollars and subscribe to the international schools review. Read some of these and then ask yourself if this is what you want...OK some of them might be over exaggerated but most I'm sure have a ring of truth about them.

Settling abroad is very hard actually...certainly once those first few "honeymoon"weeks have worn off and you're facing the reality of the daily grind without the support systems/family you have at home. Some thrive in it but an equal number fail horribly and do runners/have nervous breakdowns etc.

Think very carefully. You can have an adventure without giving up everything you currently have.

motorhomer and mermy like this.
  5. Bythesea123

Bythesea123 New commenter

I'd think carefully about this. I left the UK to teach abroad and whilst I am having a nice time and saving loads, the day to day life for our family is the same, just with less friends and no family around. I get up, go to work, get stressed about various things, do parents evenings, and DH goes about his (non teaching job) in the same way. What keeps is going is the massive savings and travel opportunities in the holidays - but you can travel a lot from the UK in the school holidays particularly if you don't have children.
    It sounds like you have a great job and you're on the fast track for assistant head which is also fantastic. I wouldn't leave this job - just investigate how you can travel more in the holidays. As you have been so loyal to your school would they consider a sabbatical so you can have a bit of an adventure?
    If it wasn't for the money I'd go home

mermy, motorhomer and towncryer like this.
  6. mermy

mermy Occasional commenter

Towncryer and Bythesea are saying exactly what I was thinking. The bottom line is, you will still lead a 'normal' life even as an international teacher. You have to commute to work, get your groceries, clean your house, pay your bills, sort all the other random stuff that you would have to do back at home. It's not all glitz and glamour as our holidays might make it out to be. Yes, some have the beach a few steps from their work. Others have amazing cities, but even these can get boring after a while as they get normal.

Really think carefully as you seem to enjoy your work and are on track to become SLT. By all means, try it for two years and see how you feel, but will a job at your old school still be available? It's only a decision that you can make. I for one never regretted moving abroad, whereas others clearly didn't enjoy it.

motorhomer and towncryer like this.
  7. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I wouldn't leave a secure job I enjoy in a country a don't really mind because I can't find enough things to do on the weekend.

You're not going to be having a perpetual adventure overseas. There will be the initial excitement but that will eventually subside and you'll just be in another country in another job.

I left the UK because I absolutely hated my job, the weather was utterly depressing and I don't like British culture. I now have a job I enjoy, a warm climate and a much more palatable culture. You seem to have a lot less reasons to leave. I'm sure that whatever you're looking for can be found where you are without having to move to the other side of the world.

By all means do it, but you don't sound like the ideal candidate in terms of your reasons for wanting to leave.

8. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

There are some unspeakably horrible so-called "international" schools. and it is quite possible to end up in one of them, if you are not very careful, vickialice11.

towncryer, T0nyGT and motorhomer like this.
  9. speaker2

speaker2 New commenter

It worries me that you are citing what your parents have told you about your desire to go abroad, rather than your own gut feeling about this ? If YOU have the gut feeling to go, then GO. At your age, what on earth is stopping you! there are plenty of jobs out there for you.

10. motorhomer

motorhomer New commenter

I fully agree with the latest comments. I wouldn't have left the U.K. if I were as happy as you seem to be in your job. It sounds like you have a good work/life balance there too. When some new colleagues joined my school in the summer I envied their excitement as they explored the city. It only took a couple months for them to feel like they had seen and done it all and one soon complained that they spent their weekends doing the 'same things over and over'. The new and interesting soon becomes the norm wherever you are.

mermy, towncryer and 576 like this.
  11. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

Are you well thought of enough in your current school to ask for a years unpaid sabbatical?
    Could you afford to go travelling for a year?
    If the answer to both of these is yes, then could that be an option? Take a year off. Travel. Have adventures. Your job will be waiting when you return. If you return and decide ‘I want more of that’ then consider relocating more permanently.

T0nyGT and towncryer like this.
  12. the hippo

Singletons can find teaching overseas pretty stressful at times. It is not all sun, fun and a tax-free salary. Usually they cope very well if there is either (a) a problem at their school or (b) a problem back in the UK (e.g. granny dies). However, many just cannot cope when (a) and (b) happen at more or less the same time. Married couples usually cope a lot better and in fact a period overseas can often strengthen a marriage. On the other hand, SE Asia seems to be a bit of a Bermuda Traingle for some marriages, with too many local temptations.

towncryer and TeacherMan19 like this.
  13. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

BOOM, a lot of right and a lot of wrong there my old hippo.

I went overseas as a single and loved it from the beginning, despite a few unsavoury moments along the way, but nothing stressful ever. I'd suggest that as a single overseas, the world is your oyster and as a man, the ladies are queuing around the block. In my experience, married teaching couples do well but couples where one is teaching and the other isn't has been a disaster in almost every case, and end up bailing or divorcing.

There are indeed temptations in SE Asia but from experience I'd suggest the marriage was on the rocks already and an overseas post was simply a way out or a failed solution to the impending split.

towncryer, rouxx and dumbbells66 like this.
  14. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

[QUOTE="frogusmaximus, post: 13003406, In my experience, married teaching couples do well but couples where one is teaching and the other isn't has been a disaster in almost every case, and end up bailing or divorcing...There are indeed temptations in SE Asia but from experience I'd suggest the marriage was on the rocks already and an overseas post was simply a way out or a failed solution to the impending split.[/QUOTE]

Correct. Some couples hope life abroad will solve the marital difficulties they are experiencing in the UK. It usually doesn't. The non-teaching spouse scenario may work but often doesn't. It isn't just a matter of the impact on the couple. The effect on the school can be also extremely disruptive. As an 'overseas' Head I learned these things the hard way.

15. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

The saying "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" springs to mind here.

Be wary of going abroad expecting to find the "something" that you are missing: unless you know precisely what that something is and where it can be found, you are very unlikely to just stumble upon it by chance in downtown Shanghai or the air-conditioned Malls of Dubai. More likely, it's probably just consumer culture working it's wicked ways upon you: we live in society that is entirely based on making people feel unsatisfied with what they have and wanting some else (because if people did ever feel satisfied, they would stop buying things/experiences they don't actually need, which would slow growth and lead to the end of capitalism as we know it). What to avoid it? Try to avoid all advertising and social media. Yeah, I know, not easy.

Have you explored the idea of asking your school to let you take a sabbatical? That way you could take a year off to travel, live overseas in places you have always wanted to visit without worrying about the stress of finding work (though there is always TEFL or things like woofing or IVPA). You would also still have a job to come back to. I'm guessing that as you are a HoD and child-free, you may well have some savings you could use for this?

16. bubblegirl83

bubblegirl83 New commenter

This was exactly me 5 years ago. I was 31, had a great job in a top UK indy and could have been there, very successfully, until retirement. But the rest of my life was pretty dull, all my friends were getting married and starting families and I felt like I needed more. Plus one of my main reasons for becoming a teacher in the first place was to travel.

So I did. I got a job pretty easily (I teach English though). The school was nothing like as good as the one I left and I had to go back to being a classroom teacher, from HoD, to get it. However, 5 years later I am in a much better school, having been promoted in the first, married to someone I met out here, having exciting adventures every weekend and holiday, making enough for spending money and a bit to save and generally much more satisfied with life.

Home will always be there if you want to go back. Choose your country and school VERY wisely, be prepared to take a few steps down the ladder to get international or IB experience, be open-minded and flexible and you may just have the most amazing experience. You don't have to go the other side of the world - dip your toe in Europe first of you're worried.

I can say, however, with some certainty, that I will never return to the UK.

TeacherMan19 and T0nyGT like this.
  17. the hippo

Well, sometimes the grass is greener over the septic tank, tb9605.

18. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Too true - that's my point. Something might look good from Britain... but once you get there you discover that's just a thin PR veneer covering up a massive pile of s**t.

19. ToK-tastic

ToK-tastic New commenter

The OP's teaching subjects should not be a problem, you will easily fit into a middle school Humanities programme ("Individuals & Societies" in IB), PSHE is taught in many schools, and your experience in Health & Social Care would probably give you enough to deliver G6 & G7 science.
    Whilst you won't find Sociology A Level in many international schools you will find Psychology A Level & IB Diploma Psychology in many - the transfer from one subject to the other is not difficult. Further, you may be able to deliver Economics, Politics or Philosophy depending upon your interests.
    Rather than thinking of your subjects as a problem I would see your CV as that of a very flexible teacher who could fill a range of 'gaps' which are difficult to fill with just one member of staff. Further, it sounds like you're in good a position to look at taking on a pastoral leadership role (Health & Social Care teaching experience would be a positive advantage in terms of knowledge & skills for such roles). In most pastoral leadership roles you would have a significantly reduced teaching timetable...,

20. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

so your advice is that they apply to an already massively oversupplied sector of teaching with little direct experience of teaching the specific subjects, or specific qualifications in the subjects taught in Humanities !!!!! o_O

many many massively experienced and highly qualified Humanities teachers cant get jobs, and you are telling them this !!!