1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I do it?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by vickialice11, Dec 31, 2019.

1. vickialice11

vickialice11 New commenter

Morning all,

I asked this question about 2 years ago and then panic decided not to do it.

My parents say I have always wanted to live abroad since I was 6 or 7. I'm now 29 and still talk about it and dream about it. I'm a 5th year head of department on the assistant head track. I have a great career and I absolutely adore my school its amazing. However, I still feel like I'm missing something and still dream about living and working abroad.

The problem is I still have all those doubts I had when I stopped looking a few years ago. Loneliness, coming back to the UK with no job and telling my current school I'm looking for a new job. (When I told my last school I wanted to work abroad they laughed at my and said I'd never get one in my subject).

What are peoples thoughts on working and living abroad?

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

What do you teach? If its RE then you might as well give up the dream right now

towncryer likes this.
  3. vickialice11

I teach Sociology, Health and Social Care, Citizenship and PSHE.

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Well, you could always try your hand at teaching something else, vickialice11.

As a married hippopotamus, I have not found it so difficult to move from one country to another. Yes, I would say that singletons find it harder. On the other hand, maybe you will not be single for long if you move overseas!

I have sent you one of those TES Conversation things.

5. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

I hate to burst your bubble, but its going to be difficult.....not impossible, but close to it.

I would look at all the different curriculums available internationally (the British system is nowhere near the largest) and see where you could fit in. Then try and find schools that your skill set would match. Its going to be a lot of googling.

If you do find something then i can not recommend the international life highly enough..... just avoid Spain.

You wont regret it if you find the right school in the right country for you. I have been lucky enough to have found 3 amazing schools over 3 continents and only ever regret working in Spain.

6. yasf

yasf Established commenter

Which of these are you specifically qualified to teach, and which dept. are you head of ?

7. vickialice11

I am trained in Citizenship and PSHE and I am head of all of them.

8. yasf

How about retraining to become a counselor ? They run and teach the PSHE in most international schools, and they are in very short supply.

ejclibrarian and dumbbells66 like this.
  9. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

"(When I told my last school I wanted to work abroad they laughed at my and said I'd never get one in my subject)."

These are wise words from your colleagues.

You'll 99% struggle to find a school simply because your subject or subjects is well... Are being taught under the pastoral umbrella. These teachers also also teach core subjects.

But if you're open to be one of those emergency hires replacing runners etc or ok with being the token westerner on the school website then you'll definitely get a J-O-B.

10. vickialice11

I'm not sure how to go about that but I will research.

I had 2 interviews previously for a school in America and China but came second on both.

11. yasf

Some colleagues did this course.

12. nadsahmed

nadsahmed New commenter

if you have doubts then don't do it!!
    Which subject is your degree in?
    A lot of ppl who live and work in UAE have survived despite the new culture, language struggles and politics.
    The money is good.though....
    .if you are looking for promotion and want to build a meaningful career then stay in the UK it's the place you will be really appreciated. it's very competitive and nobody cares about you or your CPD.

towncryer likes this.
  13. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Hmm. I am not sure that I agree with all of the naysayers and the doom merchants. Yes, it might be that you have to trim your sails a bit, vickialice11, and see which way the wind is blowing. Yes, sometimes we have to start again on a lower rung on the ladder - or else get onto a different ladder!

ToK-tastic likes this.
  14. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

15. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

Yes it's tricky, but not impossible. You may have to make the odd compromise here or there. However, you say you love your school, that's what would put me off leaving as you've got no guarantee you'll love the place you move to.

16. fordseries123

fordseries123 New commenter

L

Life is all about experiences, so I would say definitely take the plunge! If you don't you might regret it the rest of your life. In reality what have you got to lose? You will always get a job teaching in some capacity back in the UK.

What subject do you teach?

I would say at least try and that if you don't get a job overseas or your experience abroad is not positive, then at least you have tried.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

17. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

If you bite your own silver bullet and go abroad then things can go one of two ways. You can compare everything to your “amazing” school, be bitterly disappointed, and return home after two years to find that things weren’t amazing after all and you are missing something even more after you have actually tasted it. Or you might realise that it’s much better “out there” in so many more ways than it’s worse and become disillusioned with your previous professional existence.

Or you could go a third way. Get off your high horse, apply for jobs abroad and take the best one you are offered. And never look back. Your subject combination is irrelevant, it just means you might have to work a little bit harder and apply for more jobs than most people before you get one.

I recommend the third way.

18. vickialice11

I do love my school and enjoy going to work. However, its everything else that gets to me, the life outside of school. I dont mean work life balance, I have a great one. I mean a bit of adventure. I'm bored of my options on a weekend, cinema, bowling, town or a walk to the supermarket.

19. 576

576 Established commenter

So join the national trust or English heritage and visit a different property each week.

Go on the meet ups website and join local activities.

Use tripadvisor to find local stuff to do.

Your life will be no more interesting abroad than you can make it at home.

towncryer likes this.
  20. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

I disagree. My life o/seas has been much more interesting. However, I do concede it may well have been the move abroad that gave me the impetus to do something about improving it.