1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I continue?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by 7835_cook, Dec 5, 2015.

1. 7835_cook

7835_cook New commenter

Hi all,

I am currently on a SCITT course in mainstream schools.
    I am hugely struggling, my marriage is on it's last thread and I am now on anti depressants and counselling for anxiety.
    I know that if I drop out of the course now, I could never go back as I wouldn't get another loan.
    I have wanted to teach for 15 years so it can't be a decision I take lightly.
    I have always wanted to work in PRUs and hated mainstream. So, my question is, shall I stick it out and do my NQT in a PRU or try and get a job as a TA in a PRU and give up the course?
    To make this decision, I would like some honest opinions about teacher/TA in PRUs (pay, conditions etc).
    Any advice?
    Thanks

2. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I know you want advice here, but this is such a personal question that nobody on here can possibly offer you any suggestion at all.

All I will say is have you any experience of a PRU? If not you are putting a hell of a lot of expectation on something that you know nothing about. Whether or not to quit depends on your position, what you could see yourself doing next etc. It is very, very hard to say.

3. 7835_cook

7835_cook New commenter

I have spent 2 weeks in a PRU. I loved the opportunity to build meaningful relationships with the students. Something I have found extremely difficult to do in mainstream so far. Tbh, I am hoping for more information on the difference in pay and conditions of being a TA or a teacher in a PRU.Then I can decide if this year is worth the strain on my marriage and emotions or if I would be happier as a TA.
    Thanks

4. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Perhaps identify a local PRU where you could meet with/talk with other teachers about their jobs, expectations and what qualifications they require?

I am more concerned about the marriage issue - is your partner supportive of what you are doing? If not, that can add great pressure on anyone. Why is there a strain? Is your partner expecting you to do all the household chores, have dinner prepared and the other hundreds of activities but your dream of teaching (and the reality of all the hard work) is getting in the way? Are there financial issues because you took out a loan and your partner keeps reminding you of this? What are the specific issues? TBH, if you can envisage five years from now in terms of being a qualified teacher, then you should be able to persuade your partner that this year and next are the hardest, but you will survive WITH THEIR SUPPORT. Also, how would YOU feel if you didn't accomplish your dream - would you resent your partner eventually for forcing you out?

I can't help you in terms of salary or conditions, but I can say that if you are planning to move into PRU - investigate how now; if it's your partner, then you have hard decisions the other way. My husband isn;t supportive in the sense of 'his job is more important' but I know that I would not be happy doing whatever just so he was 'happy' (I teach in an independent school)....

good luck!