1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I consider promotion in school with bad reputation?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by diane1987, Oct 14, 2018.

1. diane1987

diane1987 New commenter

My current school is ofsted good but rapidly putting on pressure based on a set of poor results.

They want learning walks every week. Book scrutiny every 2 weeks. Have everyone teach the same method (as apparently consistency will solve all these problems). Behaviour is inconsistent. In the last 2 weeks I've been sworn at several times and the punishment- I have to give a lunch detention. (I have all low sets. I am currently graded as "outstanding").

A promotion opportunity has arisen in a nearby school with a bad reputation. Should I consider applying or is it out of the frying pan and into the fire?

2. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I once had a colleague who deliberately looked for a job in a RI school, on the basis that she could make a real difference there. She did and was very happy.
    Only you can say if you think the other school is worth moving to - it's a gut feeling as much as anything - but I wouldn't rule it out on the grounds of reputation. The reputation of any school can take a long time to change, even if the school itself has moved on. It can be based on nonsense like the colour of the uniform or how very shiny the new buildings are (think new academy...). Take time to check it out and go for a visit if at all possible.
    Just a thought: promotion will inevitably mean more work, as will a difficult school. Just bear it in mind... However, the current school is looking to load on the pressure, so that's an issue too.
    Do you know anyone who works there? Or a friend of a friend? You could ask them.

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

There really is no one other than yourself who can make this decision.

Pomza, corgie11, Flanks and 3 others like this.
  4. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

"Should I consider applying or is it out of the frying pan and into the fire?"

The obvious thing is to forget the reputation (where did this come from?) and go and do a pre-application visit, ask pertinent questions, talk to teachers and ask questions, talk to HoDs, have a chat with the Head and see if you can work with them, what their priorities are compared with what you saw the priorities should be. Working in a sh1 t school can be a pain short term but can also be an amazing opportunity, depending on how good the management is.

5. Mermaid7

Mermaid7 Occasional commenter

It could well be a worse fire than the frying pan was. Think very carefully.

6. unfoggingblogger

unfoggingblogger Occasional commenter

You will rise in a struggling school, which is lovely for pay but bad for stress load.

It is true that an impact can be made, but what if it's merely slowing the boulder from rolling down a hill, rather than fully pushing it back up?

It's tough working in RI environments...lots of cover, bickering staff, angry students (and they are often right to feel frustrated) and politics. The SLT are often well-intentioned and highly motivated...but this can come across as heavy handed to staff. The teaching staff probably feel overwhelmed.

Still, it's your decision. If you want it, commit yourself and raise the standards.

7. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

I did this 15 or so years ago. For me it was a disaster, entirely caused by school wide non existent behaviour management by a leadership team that hid in their offices. Be very careful.

8. cillia

cillia New commenter

It's not guaranteed you'd get it - besides the extra work and pressure might make things difficult - that said Why not? If the school has a bad rap you can help improve it.

9. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

I can’t give a detailed answer without you providing further information about your current role, and the role you plan to apply for.
    Different advice would be given if you’re a class teacher looking to be promoted to a HoD or a DHT looking to be promoted to a HT as the latter will have more responsibility and they will want someone who has experience to lead them through the challenges.

The only advice to you right now is, if you’re ready for a challenge and know that you can do the role, then there is no reason why you should not apply for it, of course, speaking to your current HT and letting them know.

10. baitranger

baitranger Established commenter

Why go to a school with a bad reputation? Why should you have all low sets? Look for another job at a better school.
    "Lunchtime detention"-what does that mean? No lunch or just the child being kept indoors? Or is it a punishment for you too, for having poor behaviour and reporting it?