1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I complete further study to help my career?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by cateh49, Jan 30, 2016.

1. cateh49

cateh49 New commenter

I trained and taught as a secondary History teacher for 10 years with good success and highly commended in the classroom. I left to be a full time mum in 2008 at UPS3. I am a Welsh speaker and live in north Wales. I returned to teaching in 2013 and as there was no secondary supply available I turned to primary where there is a shortage of Welsh speaking teachers. I am now on my 6th short-term contract all within Welsh-speaking primaries. I have applied for permanent posts in many of these schools but have not been successful and it's been hinted that it is due to my expensive salary. I have had no success in gaining any supply work or short-term or permanent contracts in secondary or in English medium primaries. I now want a permanent post.
    Do I do a postgrad or diploma in say special needs or counselling to make myself more employable? I'm 47 in a couple of weeks. I would like to work part-time and don't want to go down a leadership route. I have asked my Union if I can reduce my wage and they have said yes, but I still can't see me being able to compete with an NQT without having more to offer.
    Any positive comments and thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.