1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I care?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by thekillers1, Nov 16, 2018.

1. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Okay - end of the week rant!

Received the usual weekly feedback from the HoD and basically the report (containing six different criterions) went along the lines of a lack of differentiation (requires improvement) for the children's work and feedback marking (one criterion out of six). Nevertheless, it is worth mentioning that:

1) Everything else in the checks were either good, or outstanding (five out of six criterions)
    2) Attended two meetings this week (with regards to something else) that has been personally draining for me and my wife
    3) Potentially been carrying a cold
    4) One formal and informal/coaching observation both went (apparently!) highly well - still waiting feedback for the formal one, yet the DHT seemed highly positive about the observation; this formal observation was an 'informal' Ofsted with a third party, so everything needed to work well for this day (hence the lethargic feelings at the moment)
    5) Started the week feeling lower than usual

On top of that, I have been - like my NQT coworker - been supporting the team with the teachers, who have been absent, e.g. those on long term leave, helping supply and even undertaking additional responsibilities and duties, e.g. extra playtime duty and planning.

Should I care about the requires improvement grade? This is a rather in-frequent grading, since other priorities had occurred. I know the answer should be move on and make sure everything is sorted for next week in terms of differentiation and marking, yet I somehow feel a little annoyed with the situation. Any comments or advice is warmly welcomed.

Happy Friday everyone!

TKx

agathamorse likes this.
  2. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

You get feedback like this weekly from your HoD???

3. thekillers1

Year leader and this is weekly. (Oh, I also forgot to mention that lessons for the formal observations were changed without notification by the year leader and lessons were changed at the last moment this week, e.g. cancelled!).

agathamorse likes this.
  4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Concentrate on all the positive stuff, so much good feedback. You are working in a very high pressure environment, no wonder you need a rant, but you are obviously keeping on top of it and you deserve the praise. It's Friday - there's nothing like a Friday night - enjoy it!

5. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

If you had shown that level of commitment in any other profession then your line manager would have been chuffed to bits hat you knuckled down, got on with it and showed yourself to be a real team player. What do you get in teaching?Nit picking and being told you're not good enough.

6. thekillers1

7. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Now now..... you omitted too ask them where you should insert the yardbrush so you could sweep as you went......

come come !!!

8. Sanz1981

Sanz1981 Occasional commenter

No wonder teachers are leaving ....

9. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

If the critical feedback is of use to you e.g. did you get any suggestions on how you could differentiate more then follow it.

Otherwise, as other posts have said, concentrate on the positive areas and have a nice, chilled weekend

10. 8sycamore

8sycamore Occasional commenter

You're a saint. There is no way I could put up with this bulls*#t.
    Please enjoy your weekend!

11. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

You work for an idiot. You’re not a bad person and not a bad teacher. Enjoy the weekend and don’t give it any more thought.

12. GirlGremlin

GirlGremlin Occasional commenter

13. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Friday Quiz Time!

What does the following commonly define?
    The answer is cleverly hidden at the bottom of the page!

"it is done by someone else to you but you don't want them to
    and
    It makes you feel bad but you cannot stop it
    and
    It happens repeatedly"

ƃuᴉʎllnq

14. thekillers1

I shall indeed.

15. Curae

Curae Star commenter

B.....dy ell ....and thought I was a work aholic. This IS TOO much to sustain and I bet your HOF doesn't do it all either.

You are already working too much so YES ignore this BS. At best it's highly subjecrive and as I already stated in your case it's utter BS.

There are far better schools than this start looking elsewhere
    Good luck.

16. Curae

Curae Star commenter

Spend your weekend concentrating on far more useful things to do eg how many pubs clubs shops or holidays are needed to help you relax.
    Enjoy your life and don't let teaching rule it.

17. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Sheeesh!
    I don't know any HOY who has time to give feedback to every teacher in the year group every week on six different criteria.

18. thekillers1

They all live to work, rather than work to live x

agathamorse and Dyathinkhesaurus like this.
  19. thekillers1

At least an extra hour of non contact time in addition to PPA time is provided to them to complete this task with an afternoon or morning as part of their TLR contract. Thus, over a day and a bit of non contact time is effectly provided.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

How gutting must it be to discover this once you've signed a contract.

My response would be to start looking for somewhere else whilst hoping the HoD was only doing this in the hope of furthering his/her own career and beggaring off out of there.