1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I call the police next time?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Coffeebean102, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

They're not rare. I can't recall a front door of mine which didn't have a peephole and they're quite easy to fit. With a peephole at least the OP could give the police some information about the person knocking.
    Unless it was the middle of the night I'd have answered the door - mostly because I can't picture me ignoring knocking for such a long time as twenty minutes without doing something about it.

2. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I think Torey's suggestion is a good one. This is a very genuine question but what would the police actually be able to do about it?

3. Goodness this sounds horrible and very very frightening.

I would inform the police immediately and also talk to your neighbours about this. If this should happen again can you arrange to call a neighbour and get them (or a small posse) to come round, check you are OK and scare off the person who is knocking.

It sounds really weird to me but very very horrible.
    Good luck and let us know what happens.

4. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I believe they are supposed to, and probably do on most occasions, but I had a bad experience with a similar incident once.
    I had been on a night out with friends and I was the last drop-off for the taxi on the way home. Each girl gave me her money as she got out so I could pay the far at the end for us. We'd had a price quoted in advance and the price was clearly displayed on the taxi drivers in-car screen thingy.
    When we arrived at my house, I added my contribution to the fare and gave him the money. He then told me that the fare I'd been quoted was wrong and I actually owed him and additional £5. Not only did I not have the money, but I did not believe him and wanted to pay what had been quoted. I thought it was very poor form to wait until I was alone in the car; he had clearly heard us working out how much we all owed so knew what we were planning to pay. He wanted to drive me to a cash point so I could get more money. At that point I got out of of the car and rushed inside, locking the door. He followed me, and spent the next 10 minutes banging on my door and windows, and shouting through the letter box.
    I called the police and the person answering told me that they didn't deal with civil matters and that I should just pay him the money (which I dind't have!). Maybe I should have rang 999 but after ringing the local number and getting that response, I didn't feel I should. He went away in the end.

5. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

Eva, that's terrible, especially the response from the police. They are civil servants and as such should deal with civil as well as criminal matters. You were being threatened and they should have done something about it.

I also had a bad experience with the police when I lived in Nottingham. I was followed home from a bus stop late at night and the man also waited on the kerb outside my house for about 40 minutes. I called the police hoping they would come and remove him or move him along nut was told as I hadn't been threatened there was nothing they could do. My mum was furious when I told her what had happened (I was at university at the time) as said that they should have come because I FELT threatened nonetheless.

I hope you called the taxi company and reported this man as they should have had a log of who took which fares.

As to the OP, I would call the police anyway. They may or may not respond. Whoever suggested the broom handle through the letterbox has my vote :)

6. neli

neli Occasional commenter

I would call the police now, in the day, when you are calm. Use the local number and explain what has happened and how it made you feel.
    They will probably send some extra patrols around your way at the very least.
    Also I agree with everyone who said speak to your neighbours. It may be something and nothing which can be easily sorted but you should not be terrified in your own home x

7. Whenever I've had to contact the Police they've always been really helpful so I would say it'd definitely worth reporting it.

I once stayed alone in a student house over the xmas period. When I was upstairs with the lights off I had two strange men banging on the door for ages. I eventually went downstairs and answered the door but had a really dodgey feeling about the men as I felt that they checking if anyone was in as they wanted to brake in.I called the Police and they were really helpful. A few hours later I heard banging and as I was already shaken up I called them again and by the time I'd put the phone down they were outside the house. Luckily it turned out to be nothing but I certainly wouldn't hesitate to contact them again if I didnt feel safe.

If you don't feel comfortable ringing you can even email them now. When I was on my PGCE placement I had two men follow me from the college I was teaching at into the city centre. They were making lurid comments and had a real sinister feeling about them. They didnt seem like normal chavvy types just making sexist comments, they seemed like sexual preditors. Once I got home I emailed the police with a report about the incident and a description of the men. They called me back almost straight away and seemed really concerned. A few weeks later, not far from the incident, a women was raped so I really glad that I'd reported and described these men just incase it turned out to be them.

8. Thank you everyone for your supportive replies. I spoke to my neighbour yesterday and he gave me his mobile number so if it happens again, I can call him straight away. Hoping for a knock free night tonight!

9. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Most likely someone with the wrong address. It's happened to us a few times.
    Either someone drunk who is at the wrong house, or someone who's been deliberately given the wrong address by someone who owes them money.
    If it happens again, then do call the police. Tell them you feel threatened and they should be along sharpish.
    Don't open the door, even with a chain on (they are easily forced open). If someone has been given the wrong address, they may not believe you if you tell them that whoever they are looking for isn't there.
    Do be a little bit more careful, especially when coming home and letting yourself in. Let your neighbours know there has been a problem. Be alert for people hanging around outside the house. Don't be paranoid, though. It's probably a mistake and has more than likely been sorted by now.

10. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Did you ever find out who it was, coffeebean?