1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I call the police next time?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Coffeebean102, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I am a 26 year old, single female who has lived alone for nearly 2 years quite happily. Last Sunday I was in the bath when someone started knocking on my door. It was dark outside and I am nervous answering the door at the best of times, but, thinking it was one of my neighbours, I shouted 'in the bath, come back in ten minutes.' Normally when my neighbours knock they also identify themselves and this person didn't which made me suspicious. They then started hammering on the door with some force. I was then too nervous to open the door. They went away and I then felt guilty for not answering.

Anyway, last night I stayed in after working extremely long hours this week and was looking forward to an early night. However, about half 9, the door knocking started again. I went towards the door, albeit cautiously, thinking it was one of my neighbours. However, whoever it was started banging the letterbox. I know my neighbours would never do this, so I stopped and refused to answer the door. A few minutes later, the person then started banging on my windows. Thankfully the curtains were shut and I didn't open them because I didn't want the person to see me! This carried on for twenty minutes. I phoned my friend who told me to call the police, but the knocking stopped after 20 minutes so I didn't bother, fearing the police would think I would be wasting their time. However, I didn't sleep a wink all night and have felt on edge all day. When the postman knocked on my door this morning I jumped out of my skin. If this happens again do you think I should phone the police (on the non urgent number of course)? Or would they think I was wasting their time?

My friends have suggested that it could be kids playing a prank, but if it is kids they are doing a very very good job of being quiet. The knocker didn't make a sound apart from the knocking!

Thanks for reading.

2. Apologies for lack of paragraphs, I did put them in but TES obviously didn't like them!

Also meant to say that I have no 'enemies' (wrong word but you know what I mean) that could be the perpetrators.

3. I would have called the police after about 2 minutes of uninterupted knocking, especially if I was on my own.

4. This sounds terrifying, and I dont think you're overreacting at all. Do you know your neighbours well? You could perhaps let them know whats been happening, ask them to keep an eye out - then if it happens again you can ring them and ask them to look out of their window to see if they can see who it is. In my house we have a screen over our front door window so I go upstairs and look out the window to see who it is before I answer.

5. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg New commenter

If they knock again before tomorrow, phone the police. If they don't, go to your local police station and tell them what is happening. No-one should have to put up with that sort of behaviour. You never know, they might be doing it to other people in the local area too.
    Don't answer the door though. And if you do have to phone the police, don't sound apologetic, make sure that they know you feel seriously threatened.
    We once had to sleep with a bucket of water under the letter box for a couple of weeks because of a local idiot being prosecuted. You have my sympathies. By contacting the police at least you will feel that you actually have some control over this.
    Take care.

6. Me too sparkly. Next time call the police, then shout out an upstairs window to tell them you've done just that - then take a photograph for evidence!

7. v12

v12

I don't think the police would think that you're wasting their time, although unless there's a regular pattern to the disturbances, they might not stage an all-night stake-out in your spare room (hey - but wouldn't be exciting!)
    You might ask your neighbours to keep a look out as well - they may have heard or seen something.
    SOunds horrible, anyways - so I hope it's cleared up soon.

8. That sounds really terrifying. Hope you are OK. Go to your local police station (or ring them), tell them what has happened and ask their advice - I am sure they wouldn't think that you were wasting their time.

9. Agree with everything that has so far been said. What a terrifying experience that must have been for you. I would also infom the neighbours to also find out if it is maybe happening to them as well

10. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

Keep a long handle broom in the hallway.

Next time the person is knocking, poke it out the letter box :)

11. Thanks all, I will definitely call the police if it happens again. I still feel really on edge! Thankfully I'm going out this evening to a party so that'll take my mind off it.

12. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

I think having a chat with the police before (IF) it happens again is a good idea - they will be able to advise you what to do and they should log it for future reference too.
    Is there anyone nearby that you could call to come round if it happens again?

13. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

The police take matters like this extremely seriously and would be round within a short time after you called them.
    But what about your neighbours? Have you spoken to them about it? Maybe someone has a clue who it might be, and it would be less embarrassing for you if the cops turn up outside your house.
    You're paying for the police and they like catching villains, so you've got nothing to lose by calling them if you are being frightened.

14. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

You can ring the police, although they are likely to be gone by the time they get there. Could you look out the upstairs window and ask who it is? You can stay safe then and also make a loud fuss for your neighbours to hear if you need to. When I had someone knocking for a long time it turned out the pizza man had come to the wrong door and of course was knocking for a long time as he was expecting someone to answer. It may be something simple, so try not to worry.

15. I agree with the others-you should speak to the police about it if it happens again. That sounds terrifying!

16. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg New commenter

Coffebean - go to the police before it happens again. It will make you feel less of a victim. (Not meant in any way as an insult.)
    Like I said before, they might be doing it to other people in the area.The chances are it is just some gobshite kids. But they don't realise that something that is a laugh to them could terrify the wrong person.
    Have a good night at your do. You have my sympathies.

17. It is extremely weird. If it was a friend they would call out or text your phone. If it were a neighbour they would put a note through your door. I hope it doesn't happen again.

18. Perhaps the person has the wrong address believing incorrectly that they know the occupant.
    Shout out the window in a very loud firm teachers's voice "who are you and what do you want?"

19. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

The alternative is to get a spyhole and a chain and answer the door when someone is there.

20. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I've never had these nor needed them. I can understand why a vulnerable young woman would be tempted though, but this isn't the issue. She has a problem with someone who hasn't identified themselves disturbing her in a rude and confronting manner. It's an issue for the police to sort out rather than barracade ourselves in.