1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I call the heads bluff?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by kanddd, Jun 23, 2012.

1. As well as being a TA I have several other responsibilities, one of which is causing me a few problems. Have been going to the head for advice and last week he he told me that he was fed up with being asked questions. I asked him for some time to discuss the matter. He said he would not discuss it and that he had delegated that responsibility to me and if I could not do it he would do it himself. Should I call his bluff?

2. As well as being a TA I have several other responsibilities, one of which is causing me a few problems. Have been going to the head for advice and last week he he told me that he was fed up with being asked questions. I asked him for some time to discuss the matter. He said he would not discuss it and that he had delegated that responsibility to me and if I could not do it he would do it himself. Should I call his bluff?

3. I suppose it all depends upon what the responsibility is. If it is something that you are doing above and beyond what would be expected of your grade then you have cause to feel a little miffed.
    Take a step back, are you doing all you can to solve the difficulties, is there another solution? If you feel that you aren't being supported I can sympathise. Is there anyone else who can help you?
    I know how difficult it can be as I sometimes have to speak to the Head about issues relating to my additional roles. Sometimes I get a helpful response, other times I feel as though I am being a bit of a nuisance. I think that part of the problem is that Head teachers have a huge variety of pressures to deal with. When I arrive with a problem it probably seems somewhat trivial and yes I could deal with some issues but as a TA I don't always feel that I have the authority to make some decisions so I go and check if it is okay to do so.
    The trouble is if you pass on the responsibility to your Head they may use it as a mark against you. Maybe your Head is under some pressure you don't know about, maybe he just has poor people skills. Don't make a decision based on an emotional response, think about how best to get the result that you really want. Hope you manage to work it out.

4. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Is the head the only person who can help you? Have you asked the other TAs for advice? In my department we all help each other. Someone might be able to come up with some ideas for you.

5. I am the only TA who does this job. Going to speak to my line manager on Monday. This work is done at home or before school. I don't get any extra time in school to do it. I work hard at it to keep it under control. Was yelled at, and made to feel inadequate.

6. Oh my word, UNION.

7. In that case your Head can sort out the problems himself. I'd be cross too -what a bloomin' cheek!