1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I become an exam marker?

Discussion in 'English' started by CarolineEm, Jan 8, 2004.

1. This is all really useful, thanks (though the last post was a bit funny/scary!) Know what you mean though - I worked one summer washing dishes and I used to dream about them! Weird or what!

2. To answer your question on KS3 tests, I think there are two main problems. First of all there are far too many to mark - 650 essays on the same two scenes of The Tempest makes it impossible to stay awake or to be really fair to the kids. Secondly, the markschemes are unnecessarily complicated. I actually find it much easier to mark A level than KS3, although KS3 pays better (not per paper but it's much quicker after the first few )

AQA pay quickly and you get very quick reactions to every thing that goes on. KS 3 marking goes on for two months and the sacks of paper are sitting in your house for all that time.

The only other problem is that some people actually think the KS3 tests matter!

3. And KS3 doesn't pay until it's finished - which is why it's annoying that it takes so long. This year i had finished by the end of the May half term but was unable to send the scripts back for another four or five weeks...

4. "The only other problem is that some people actually think the KS3 tests matter!"

LOL!

5. So will marking KS3 tests enhance my teaching of them???

mcclusky xx

6. I marked KS3 tests a couple of years ago and did find it useful - if nothing else you are able to level mark your own kids' work very accurately. Pay wasn't brilliant, but I did ask for fewer scripts, it being my first year.

Having said that, I haven't been tempted to do it again - in fact I've just applied to mark AQA GCSE, partly because I'm now on maternity leave. I think that it is good experience to be a marker in general; it has usefully informed my teaching.

7. So step by step's idiots guide ... the first thing I do is ...

8. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

If you're interested in marking NCT, then go to:

http://www.makingamark.org.uk/

and read all about it.

I'd advise anyone who thinks they might like to do that at some time in the future to try for do it in 2008 when the training will be done "face to face".

For info on NCT and also examining for the awarding bodies, go to:

http://www.naa.org.uk/examiners/

9. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Worth registering on the NAA site - you can apply online to be an examiner if you want.

10. manc

manc New commenter

Agree about the KS3 NCT Byzantine markscheme.

It is laughably complex.

11. Again, thank you, these replies have been very helpful and I appreciate them very much!

12. This will be my third year marking the SATs reading and second year marking GCSE Lit. The SATs, once you get over the initial training, is a piece of p*ss, just very repetetive. The GCSE is more difficult and time consuming, but you have fewer to mark and you get more per paper. Apparently A Level is really difficult to mark but the best for professional development, and the most interesting: mainly because for GCSE and SATs you don't need to know a huge amount about the texts studied. Sad to admit, but I enjoy it and the money comes in handy over the summer holidays...

13. Have you found it a useful tool when looking for new posts, anyone?