1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I Become a Teacher?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by mark8191, Sep 2, 2019.

1. mark8191

mark8191 New commenter

I've wanted to be a teacher since I can remember. Currently 28 and I've been working as a professional musician for 7 years. I have 2000 classroom hours from teaching music in schools as a peripatetic music teacher and finally decided to apply for a PGCE. I got a place at Northumbria Uni but having spoke to a dozen teachers, most try to discourage me whilst others tell me to go for it and that they themselves get their work done in school and don't take much if anything home.

The taking hours of work home every night is the only thing making me think twice, is this the norm or is it all about your own prioritising/ efficiency/ organisation/ time management skills/ school you're in?

Thoughts much appreciated.

Mark.

pepper5 likes this.
  2. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

It really comes down to the school. Being efficient and well organised yourself will help but schools vary widely in their expectations. I'm unsure if you are considering primary teaching (which I do) or secondary music. Certainly, it isn't rare for primary teachers to take home a hour or two of work each night on top of about 9-10 hours in school. Some would then do a lot of work over the weekend, too. Marking policies tend to impact massively on workload in primary.

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  3. mark8191

mark8191 New commenter

Sorry should have specified, its primary I'm considering.

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  4. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Its really a bit of both. The job involves a huge amount of work but it can be managed. If you are really efficient you can do it, as long as your school is equally well organised. But another factor is that teachers are under a lot of stress and have a very nasty tendency to take that out on each other rather than being supportive. But in general - give it a try. If you think you'll enjoy it and you have a lot of experience in education already, then the worst that happens is you get QTS (a very useful qualification anyway) and walk away.

Lucy2711 and agathamorse like this.
  5. Laurakitty

Laurakitty New commenter

Yes it was the norm for me unfortunately, in every school I've worked in, and I've always been an efficient and organised person.

On some occasions the unsustainable workload pressures made me feel that I could work 24 hours a day and it still wouldn't be enough.

And all the government plans to address the lack of teachers seems to be about getting new teachers in to the profession (glossy TV ads, new routes into the job, increasing starting salary, large bursaries), rather than addressing issues that lead to terrible retention (e.g. reducing workload).

tenpast7, pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  6. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

As I say to all prospective teachers, get some school experience. You have plenty of school experience as a peripatetic music teacher but this is far removed from having your own class as a primary teacher and being with the same children day after day.

You have talked to some teachers who have tried to put you off, others are more positive so you really need to find out for yourself. Becoming a teacher will not only affect you career wise but may have implications for your home and family life so make sure you are as fully informed about what you may be letting yourself in for before you commit yourself.

agathamorse and Marisha like this.
  7. mark8191

mark8191 New commenter

Thank you for all your replies. I've spoken to teachers who say they take loads of work home and others who say they don't take anything home, all from the same school, which suggests that it comes down to the individual. I think, as some have suggested, I just need to find out for myself. If I do it and after a while find its not for me, then at least I can say I tried, and I'm sure the skills I'd acquire as a teacher will be sought after by many other employers.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Good luck. I hope things turn out well for you whatever you decide.

agathamorse likes this.