1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I become a teacher?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Foxys, Feb 21, 2004.

1. I am currently trying to get a place on a primary GTP. I have approx 30 days experience helping out in nursery and KS1. I have really enjoyed this and can't get the idea of teaching out of my head. After reading the postings on here though I feel that I must be missing something and that going into teaching could be a bad move. I currently have a well paid, relatively stress free job and 2 young children. I don't want to give up a good job (I am bored as I have been doing it for so long) unless I will enjoy it.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

2. I am currently trying to get a place on a primary GTP. I have approx 30 days experience helping out in nursery and KS1. I have really enjoyed this and can't get the idea of teaching out of my head. After reading the postings on here though I feel that I must be missing something and that going into teaching could be a bad move. I currently have a well paid, relatively stress free job and 2 young children. I don't want to give up a good job (I am bored as I have been doing it for so long) unless I will enjoy it.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

3. There are times when it is a fantastic job, and there are times when it's not!! It's certainly not stress-free, and there are times when it is incredibly hard work, but it's also very rewarding. It also depends on the school you're in, the kids you're teaching, the staff you're working with, your family and friends, (not to mention whether it's windy or rainy, or what the kids have had for lunch!!). Try and get as much experience as you can, in as many different types of school as you can, and if you still find you're feeling the same way about it, then go for it!!

Bear in mind that lots of people (myself included) use these boards to let off steam after a hard day, or ask for advice - it's human nature to focus on bad things, and there are lots of other good things that don't always get mentioned!!!

4. aargh!! pressed enter too soon and then my second post disappeared (and will probably reappear once I've typed it again!)

Unless GTP is your only option, try and speak to some people who've done GTP/PGCE/BEd - I know the woman doing GTP in my school is finding it hard becuase the school keep forgetting that she's not a qualified teacher!

Good luck whatever you decide!!

PS just realised that paragraph about human nature sounds terrible - sorry!!!

5. Thanks sweetcorn I'll try to follow your advice. I suppose thats one of the appeals of teaching because one day can be so different from the next.
    The GTP is my one and only option dur to family expenses.

Foxys

6. Thanks burn
    that's a really intersting article and definitely food for thought.

7. How old are your kids? If they are still at primary school...think VERY carefully before following this through, maybe wait until they are a bit older. I remember how draining my training was, and I did not have anyone to worry about but me. Having said that a close friend of mine went through training with 2 young kids, no support from her hubbie, no transport, and English as her second language (and in a foreign country!) Suppose it depends how determined you are.

8. Shaun the sheep

My kids are 3 and 4 and one of my main concerns is that I do not want to neglect them. I already have to balance a full time management job + another small part time job so I don't have it that easy at the moment. At least I would have the school holidays with them, at the moment I only get 5 weeks holiday a year and other staff want school hols so we have to fight it out between us. I am fed up of having to rely on the good will of my parents and friends to help me through the holidays. Incidentaly this is not the reason I want to be a teacher but obviously it is a bonus.

Foxys

9. Well did you become a teacher? Would like to know please.

10. alan1

alan1 New commenter

go for it!

11. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Only a few years too late alan [​IMG]
    From her other threads yes she did (last post was in 2009 though) x