1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I become a chemistry teacher? Advice from any teachers would be much appreciated! thankyou!

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by catymars, Apr 10, 2017.

1. catymars

catymars New commenter

I would appreciate it so much if anyone would be willing to give short answers / ratings to the following questions, I am studying a degree in chemistry and have always thought that I would be interested in a career in teaching. I am writing research report to explore this idea more fully, and any answers / ratings given would be anonymised. Thankyou for your time!

Please could you answer any of the questions below with a rating 1-10 and/or a short written answer:

• Do you find your career in teaching fulfilling? (where 10 is very much and 1 is not at all)

• Do you find your career demanding?

• Would you recommend your career to a graduate?

• If you could choose your career again, would you change it? (if so what to)

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

There are many online survey generators, this may be a better way of getting responses.

1 person likes this.
  3. catymars

catymars New commenter

thankyou for the idea!

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I don't see why asking other people will help you make a decision. It's far more about you and what you enjoy in a job than it is about what other people think.

NaturallyGreezy and pepper5 like this.
  5. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

6. dleaf12

dleaf12 Senior commenter

Survey responses: 2 - the bit with (some of) the kids is OK
    10 - Zero personal time during term time and increasingly during so-called "holidays"
    1 - as a graduate there should be a million other things you can do.
    1 - Traffic Warden ( or anything else at all)
    Seriously. RUN AWAY don't do it.

Moony likes this.
  7. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

8. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Yes, I find teaching very fulfilling but also, at times, very demanding.

Yes I would recommend, but only if your eyes are open to the challenge and you're prepared for some hard work along the way.:)

9. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I am an ex chemistry teacher. I was in a team of 4, I am the only survivor. One has been an official missing person for some years, one committed suicide, one was sectioned.

10. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Sounds like the line-up of a great band...

11. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

I'm retired after 28 years teaching Chemistry (and Physics). I had a career in industry before teaching - both in the UK then very lucratively in the Middle East. This is something I think you should consider doing before going in to teaching. It allowed me to buy a house for cash and have money left over to invest and live well. Teaching has been a good career, and unlike most teachers pretty much stress free. Reason for this is that I worked in Independent schools.