1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by mickeyforpresident, Mar 27, 2011.

1. mickeyforpresident

mickeyforpresident New commenter

Hi. My LEA do a wellbeing survey which we've just done with some great results - better than "average" well being which is great, although slightly down on last year. There are a few "worries" surrounding workload, work life balance, etc. I was planning to follow this up with staff with a brainstorm of how to make things better... however the staff facilitator has asked to do the meeting without SLT there.... now I've no real problem with this as I feel that if we get better answers then the outcome is better for all (despite the niggle that we've always been open with each other, so why can't they say what they have to say with us being there)... however, my deputy disagrees with me and says by allowing the staff to have this meeting without SLT, it's causing a divide....

I just wondered what your thoughts were?

2. Hi
    I agree with the DHT. But depends on the staff team dynamics, too. Too often staff want to have a say anonymously, with no one having a right to reply. There is also the worry that key 'spokespeople' may not actually reflect what many think, but because of staff dynamics or allegiances, the others don't speak up. If someone has a gripe, they should address that through the line management chain, ideally individually rather than using the royal 'we'!
    I would suggest organising the staff into teams, with an issue per large sheet of paper, and a pile of post its and pens, and ask for practical suggestions for improvement. The SLT could rotate one way, with the issue going the other, so not dominating one group. You could explain to staff that SLT would like to hear the discussion, which is really important, but are not going to interrupt, more being like facilitators.