1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I be rewarded for setting up new Btec course

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by suddaby, Jul 12, 2011.

1. I have been asked to set up Btec Sport Level 3 for September. After speaking with my line manager, the only thing I am getting for this is it will benmifit my CV.
    After going on a course and speaking to several people doing this and getting rewarded by pay and titles, I was wondering if anybody could give any advice as to what I should do.

Thanks

2. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Depending on scope and staff involved.
    However, I don't think this should automatically attract increased pay. Perhaps reduced timetable to allow for the admin of a new course. Plenty of departments run by a single person do not attract extra pay.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Crowbob is quite correct. Moreover, it's always been part of our job to develop new courses.
    I ran a one-person department from the beginning of my career, setting up new O level, CSE and A level courses in my subject and got not a penny for it in 5 years. What I did get was priceless experience of writing schemes of work, masses of new materials, running exams and a small department - and first dibs on promotion within the school (one of the deputies, with whom I'd clashed a number of times as NUT rep, famously described me to another colleague as 'worth her weight in gold to the school'). It springboarded me to rapid promotion in other schools thereafter.

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Indeed you will be rewarded with the self development that comes with the experience, and the pay that lands in your bank account at the end of the month.