1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I be prepared to work for £81 a day?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Georgia99, Jan 8, 2012.

1. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Has anyone suggested that it is?

2. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

Yes, you did when you suggested that you would only be working for £20 a days work as you could sit at home and get JSA! You gave off this strange mentality of..."Why should I work for one day a week if I can do nothing all week and get the same money on JSA".

3. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Hardly a career choice!

I was just pointing out the absurdity of the position!

Point of info: There were no jobs for my subject for the whole of the country! So I thought I'd try supply. All I have managed to get so far is the 'job' I have mentioned.
    But IMO it is NOT a job, unless you already have an income of sorts, and are just doing it for 'pin' money.
    I can assure you that it isn't easy living on benefits as a single person, and as a 'career choice' it wouldn't figure in the equation if there was work around.
    I can't begin to tell you how scary it is, but in my area I couldn't even get an Xmas job in retail, let alone in teaching.
    So forgive me for being a 'benefits cheat' which is what you appear to be implying.

PS There are lots of these posts in my area, so if you fancy a job working a lesson ( sometimes they only want you for one hours lesson on a given day) every time a body is needed in front of a class, pm me your details and I will pass on the info.[​IMG]

4. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

Yes it is absurd, of course it is and its awful that you cannot get a job in your subject in the whole of the country. But it is still your choice to do it. If there are lot's of these posts in your area, sounds like you need them more than me [​IMG]

5. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

So you're alright Jack! Well done you!