1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I be prepared to work for £81 a day?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Georgia99, Jan 8, 2012.

1. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Well, the key words are 'out of pocket'!
    At £7 per hour I AM! In fact, by paying travel expenses, I am effectively paying to go to work.
    I started teaching in 1980, and have worked in a wide range of posts, and although I know you can never stop learning, I feel that 'further experience' is not a priority for me. Paying the bills is!
    I am not bored at home. Far from it. I don't understand this idea that without paid employment there is nothing to do! (Too many interests and so forth to list!)

2. ...look, just like many on here who are getting a pittance ( I say this relatively speaking as there are many who dont even get the national minimum wage) but as professionals arent we entitled to a decent wage bearing in mind the skills, qualifications and experience we bring to the party?
    ...are we all feeling guilty that we should ask for a fair wage comensurate with the above comments?
    ...when the last general strike took place recently, TBH it was a total waste of time.
    ...if strikes, to ensure teachers and other public sector workers, get a fair deal in terms of pensions and wages are going to take place...do it properly and strike until the govt breaks first and the country is held to ransom....no apologies for this anarchist view
    ...yes, I know many private sector workers get a worse deal of it, especially lower paid staff. But societies key workers are indeed the bedrock of this nation, without we would be in dire straits
    ...so, to answer your question, yes you should be prepared to work for £81 per day because if you dont some one else will......but that doesnt make it right though!!!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

cissy3 your comment
    Perhaps you're fortunate enough to be able to 'live' without having to earn. Personally I find with no income it's very difficult to occupy oneself doing things which do not cost. It's like the decorating, when one's working one has no time to decorate but if one is not working one has all the time but no monetary resources to do the job.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

ninasimone
    It doesn't make it right but perhaps we have to face the reality of the state this country is now in.

5. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

NO... you haven't worked for 10 to 20 pound...you have<u> earned</u> &pound;81. Why do some people think that about JSA? JSA is there for people who cannot get <u>any</u> work. If you have the chance to earn your money then why don't you??? Whether it is one or two days a week? If the one day of work stops you from receiving JSA because you have earned too much to claim it, then that's the way it is I'm afraid! If the choice was work one day a week or sit at home and claim JSA i would go to work.

6. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Exactly.
    And I can't get any work.
    Forgive me for not using up a day of my life, perhaps to cover lesson 1, 3, and five, being stressed out by hellish secondary kids, being paid &pound;21 after tax, and spending at least &pound;3 bus fare for the privilege.

It is a disgrace that schools can 'employ' fully qualified and experienced people in such a way.

(And as for worrying about re-decorating??!! Don't make me laugh Lara!)

7. bigpig

bigpig New commenter

Let them not work Mrs Pip! We can do the work instead.
    Work is work and I'd rather go out to work and earn &pound;50 for a day than sit at home doing nothing.

8. bigpig

bigpig New commenter

You can get work, you are being offered work. Why do you think you only earn &pound;21 after tax? at &pound;81 a day and even on BR tax you'd get at least &pound;60.

9. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

&pound;21 after tax? That means you would be paid &pound;30...No agencies pay &pound;30 a day!!!
    You can earn &pound;143 a week and not pay any tax or NI.

10. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

You beat me to it!

11. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I suggest you READ the thread!

I am talking about my own situation. NOT the OP's!

12. bigpig

bigpig New commenter

Can you not claim the difference between the pay you get as a CS and that of JSA? Jubilee should be able to tell you.
    I get more than &pound;7 an hour for TA2 rates. If the school are paying you it should be paid to scale and more than &pound;7 (or say &pound;9 before tax)

13. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

I commented on your thoughts and I quoted them. I have READ the thread.

14. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

It's not as simple as just losing 1 week's JSA though. If you get paid on a monthly payslip, the amount you earn will be averaged across a month and deducted from your JSA. For 2 days I earned &pound;202 (not through an agency I hasten to add), of which &pound;7 was deducted for my pension. I recieved &pound;195. JSA averaged that &pound;202 across 5 weeks, and deducted &pound;40 per week from my JSA for 5 weeks. So I ended up out of pocket as the school was 12 miles each way - I actually ended up paying around &pound;7.50 in petrol for the privilage of working.
    If it was as simple as work and earn &pound;80, lose JSA for a week I wouldn't have minded. But it's not.
    I second Lara's viewpoint - lots of time off seems lovely til you have it. I can entertain myself for weeks without a job just fine - but not without any money.

15. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

So you missed the bit where I said I would work for &pound;81 a day, Especially if I could get 2 days work per week!

16. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I sympathise. Some people appear to have little understanding of these problems.

17. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

Personally, I wouldn't work for &pound;81 a day. Why should I? I've worked hard to earn my qualifications, I have four years teaching experience. I refuse to lower myself to be a cover supervisor and the more people that start doing the same, the better it will be for all of us.
    I watched a film called Margin Call this afternoon. It's about how some people could predict the financial crisis a year before it happened, and how one company deals with the proverbial hitting the fan. It made me think of the situation in schools in the UK. We can see it coming but no-one is listening to us.

18. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

No I read that and I commented on that too.

19. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Thanks for that.

I am employed as a casual cover supervisor, and there is no paying to scale.
    One flat rate, whether you are the dinner-lady, brought in at short notice (I kid you not!)
    or me, supervising in the subject for which I am qualified!
    It is about &pound;8 an hour, and I am on BR tax rate (for some reason I don't understand)

I suppose I'm trying to highlight how awful the employment situation is at the moment, and how some schools exploit this. But some posters are trying to see what I'm saying in a different light. Such is life!

20. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

So in 5 weeks (before expenses) you received &pound;397.50???? and that is with JSA. I couldn't live off &pound;80 a week. I do sympathise but as much as I love teaching if that is all I was earning as a supply teacher, I wouldn't be one. It's a career choice you have to make. JSA is an emergency thing, not part of a career choice.