1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I be mentioning my absence?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Carofi90, Feb 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Carofi90

Carofi90 New commenter

Dear Theo,

I've been off since almost the beginning of term with depression/anxiety (99% work related). I am getting there slowly and seeking counselling and plan to go back for a couple of days before half term to make it easier on myself and ready for after half term but also to see if I can get to that point and cope! My current role ends at the end of this term.

I'm worried about references and attendance records as I start to look for new jobs. I just finished an application which I'm considering whether or not to send off but should I be mentioning my absence and situations in applications?

Thank you

2. savk

savk New commenter

Employers are no longer allowed to ask about your absences.
    Law was changed last year.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Some years ago, I think. However, they are allowed to ask if ill health could prevent you carrying out the duties of the post - and a school has a legal obligation to ensure Fitness to Teach.

It is therefore very likely that your referee will be asked about absences, so it could be useful to write a brief sentence in an application, to put your side of things first.

You could, if it were true, say something like this: Following a bout of ill health earlier in the term, I have been concentrating on regaining my health and my GP does not envisage any further health problems. My fixed-term appointment at X School finishes as planned at the end of the term, and I am now anxious to secure another post, working with pupils to support their learning and progress.

If you apply after the 29 February resignation deadline, you could add:

As I am not currently contracted to a school for next term, I am available to begin work after Easter.

But you must make sure that whatever you write is true.

Best wishes

4. Carofi90

Carofi90 New commenter

Thank you both very much!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good luck!