1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I be doing observations for each child in Y2?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bassetthound, Mar 15, 2011.

1. bassetthound

bassetthound New commenter

Just wondered what inspectors expect?
    If you teach Y2 do you fill out observations sheets for each child on top of all the other tests, assessments, planning that you do?

2. No! Why would an inspector expect to see that? Who has given you this impression?
    I might make the odd observational post it note for my APP if a child does/says something significant but no observations for individual children on a regular basis.

3. bassetthound

bassetthound New commenter

Our deputy head is in foundation stage and is insistent that KS1 should be doing observations and that inspectors will ask to see these.
    I just don't feel it's a valuable use of my time as most of the children's work is recorded in books etc in Y2 and this can be used as evidence in a way it can't in FS.

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

Rubbish. Ask your DH for...

evidence

that this is the case.

5. zannar

zannar New commenter

Snap! Only so many hours in a day.

6. inq

inq

We were inspected last week and no one asked anyone in KS1 for assessment data like that. We offered our Half Term Books as we felt that it showed how much progress the children had made from the beginning of the year but that was our choice. We were asked to leave all children's books out on the side for one afternoon so that inspectors could pop in and look at written work. This was not a detailed study, they just picked a few at random and had a quick look, they didn't ask for AA, A, BA.

7. Please don't succumb to doing this in key stage one - there are many people working in the early years domain who can describe the untold hours- both in the setting and at home- that they have spent fulfilling the paper trail.
    It isn't necessary and we don't want it moving up into other year bands. We need it be drastically diminished in the early years.