1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I be asked to do this?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by clear_air, Mar 16, 2012.

1. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I am currently working part time - I'm going on a course one morning next week, and have been asked if I would swap one of my days so that I can be in school for the amount of time the boss wants me in, and get paid extra hours for the course. I've reluctantly agreed, but fear I could have set a precedent that could come back to bite me....I only want a part time job!!
    Has anyone else been in this position?

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I believe you can be asked to do this, but not made to do it.

3. I have but I've always appreciated the extra work and offered to do supply as the money is fantastic! My theory is keep 'em sweet and they'll look after you! I've always tried to be flexible and then I've got what I've wanted, for example when I wanted to go on holiday and asked to swap a couple of days to get cheaper flights. The head said, 'Well you've always helped me out when I've asked so of course you can swap your days!' If it works fr you, then I would say give it a go rather than a flat no.

4. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Yes, I'm trying really hard to be flexible - but I don't want my own children to be the ones to suffer...I must be suffering from parental guilt! I'll be glad when its the holidays and my own particular babies can have a good, long rest. And me too!

5. I know what you mean but then I took my babies away for a lovely cheap holiday and then it was worth it!!!!

6. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

True, true. I suppose I am struggling to find balance with this job. I've had a couple of days off this week, and it has really made me realise how precious time with my children, just doing mum things is. It's not an easy circle to square, is it?

7. I am in the same situation, am part time and have 2 little ones i asked myself this question today -'should i be teaching and looking after other people's children and not my own??"

8. I dunno! I find it hard - nay, impossible - to say no when somebody higher up asks me to do something , even when we both know I don't HAVE to... I always agree, but I also hope that it will be remembered next time I ask for something... I suppose unless you have the balls to flat-out refuse, you just have to see it this way?