1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I be a secondary teacher?

Discussion in 'History' started by hope5, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Hi, Please could someone outline what secondary teaching is really like? I am considering a pgce in history secondary after finding that primary probably isn't for me. Is it really that different? Or is there not much difference. I like the sound of working with an older age group. I'm having such problems trying to find a career that suits me.
    Many thanks in advance!

2. Hi, Please could someone outline what secondary teaching is really like? I am considering a pgce in history secondary after finding that primary probably isn't for me. Is it really that different? Or is there not much difference. I like the sound of working with an older age group. I'm having such problems trying to find a career that suits me.
    Many thanks in advance!

3. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

What is secondary school teaching really like?? Big question! It can be the best job in the world and holidays are great BUT, the hours are long, there is always lots of planning and marking to do, big classes with stroppy teenagers (sometimes!)... and the many work place dilemmas that can occur are too many to mention (check out work place dilemmas forum!). I have been in teaching for 14 years now, certainly don't want to do it for another 25 until the government allows me to retire! Is it for you? Perhaps the best bet is to ask a local secondary school for a weeks work experience - get a feel of what it can be really like...

4. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

Totally agree.

I would also point out that there are many different types of secondary schools - inner city; rural; comprehensive; selective; 'faith'; Academies; boys; girls; co-ed; independent etc. etc. Worth going to more than one...

5. Also lots of unemployed History teachers out there - not many jobs [​IMG]

6. If Gove gets his way, and he will, the job will not be worth doing in 5 years time.