1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I attend the meeting?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by tullyandy26, Apr 5, 2019.

?

Is there a point in attending the exit interview?

1. Yes

25.0%
  2. No

75.0%
  1. tullyandy26

tullyandy26 New commenter

Hello all, long time Lurker here.
    Here is the background of my tale:
    I am an NQT at a primary school, having passed my PGCE in August. I was taken on in October due to another teacher being dismissed suddenly and was happy in the role. I told the school from the original interview that I found planning tricky and would need support (which I feel was largely given).
    Things were progressing well and I passed the first part of my NQT assessment.

However, at the end of the third term it appeared that I had arranged our topic's final pieces 'a polished product' incorrectly. Furthermore, it was revealed that I had been marking incorrectly for this whole term. The meeting was not a positive one and created an atmosphere for the rest of the school year. I was put on probation, given an action plan and given until the end of term 4 to make progress. I raised my concerns and suggested my mentor working more closely with me, as I felt these things had occurred due to miscommunications.

Now, at the end of term 4, I have been informed that I will not be passing my probationary period and have been offered an exit meeting with the head and HR to explain why this has happened. I had been expecting this since the third term and because I feel I have gained some valuable experience in the role, I am not upset. I have resigned (upon the advice of my NQT liason officer).

My question is whether there is a benefit in attending an exit meeting?
    On the one hand it might be cathartic for me (and useful for the school) to have a written record of why I see I have not met my probation requirements (dwindling support and miscommunications).
    On the other, the resignation is final and this will not change anything.

So, in the communities experience, is there anything I stand to gain by attending an exit interview?

2. BYusuf

BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

Hi tullyandy26,

The benefit of the exit meeting lies in what you outlined alongside the catharsis you will experience. It gives you a formal platform to explain the reasons behind why you feel that your probation requirements were not met.

In turn, the Head Teacher and HR should use these insights to improve things for NQTs to avoid others leaving for similar reasons. The exit meeting also provides them with an opportunity to learn if there are other aspects which also need to be improved within the school.

Regards,
    Bukky

warrenrayson likes this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

No - it's not compulsory and in reality there is nothing to be gained.

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I think OP would benefit from attending in this case for the reasons @BYusuf explained.

I don't know what you mean by 'not compulsory' but if it is in directed time the head could direct OP to attend. It's any employer's right to require attendance at a meeting and it's also within a teacher's general professional responsibilities in STPCD. But heads are more likely to put it as an invitation - make it voluntary - than a direction because directing someone to attend who doesn't want to go is pointless. They won't say what's really on their mind so the school will learn nothing. And of course even if directed to attend there is nothing in practice the school could do if you no-showed as you are about to leave.

Anyway in this case it isn't the normal Exit Interview where it's the employee who is asked for their views. It sounds like it's really an NQT feedback meeting where the head is going to explain why OP didn't pass their probationary period. I can see that might be uncomfortable but you'd hope OP would hear something of value.