1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I attend a training day?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by pigginkt, Apr 21, 2019.

1. pigginkt

pigginkt New commenter

I'm in a long term supply (2 days) until the summer with hope of getting a permanent position there in September. They have a training day on a day I'm supposed to be in and my agency haven't let me know either way whether they'll pay me to attend. I spoke to my phase leader and she said it would be nice if I could attend, it's about 'boosting confidence' or something similar.

I looked at the list of attendees sign up sheet (you had to say if you'd like a free dinner) and my name wasn't on there.

What would you do?

Do supply teachers usually attend training days? My argument would be if they're not paying me, I could get paid work somewhere else?

Thanks everyone
    Katie

2. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

It is not a case of the agency paying you to attend but whether the school want to pay the agency for you to attend a course when they don’t need to as it is a training day.

I would speak to the school to see if they are willing to pay. I suppose that it depends upon how their budget is.

Of course you could attend without getting paid if you feel that the course is going to be beneficial.

3. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Occasional commenter

On long term supply I have always attended training days when things have been happening and been paid for these. Last year the two days at the end of term were twilighted and I did not get paid for these two days but escaped from one of the twilight make-up sessions (it all got a bit complicated so I might have escaped more than that)
    However, I would say your situation is different because the position is only for two days and so, even if you were established rather than supply, you might only be expected to do 0.4 of the training days and not this one.

Is it the first day back or does it fall later in the year? The only thing I can suggest is that you go back to the agency or approach somebody senior directly at school if you have a reasonable relationship with them (can be via email) - after all, it isn't an unreasonable question!

agathamorse and JohnJCazorla like this.
  4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Yes courses do have to be paid for and so because it was always useful to have some recent training on any job applications I always asked the School if I could be included and they usually agreed.

gingerhobo48, agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  5. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I don’t think the agency can do much for you as they would have already tried, not for your benefit but the commission for that day is important to them.
    Definitely worth schmoozing someone at the school there. Ideally the SLT who is organising it, he won’t want to admit it’s useless. I’ve always tried to get training days as the boredom is easily offset by the money coming in.

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  6. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

If you will be paid, then go. If not then don't - tell them that you have an offer of paid employment elsewhere. However, if they want to pay you then you will be more than happy to attend.

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

If you have any hopes of a permanent position at the school then you go.

It's a no-brainer.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. JohnJCazorla

Yes, but.....
    Make sure that the right people note that you're there and engaging with the highly useful initiative that is being rolled out. Brownie points are only valid if they can be cashed in.

The way to win a medal is to act when the general is watching
    Robert A Heinlein - Starman Jones

9. JohnJCazorla

Personally I'm very wary of the 'permanent post' carrot.

It could just be a way for the agency to keep you onside (ie. working for peanuts) or wishful thinking on the part of the HoD, who'll be over-ruled by SLT at decision time anyway. These scenarios could be a lot worse in more Machiavellian hands.

10. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

I would only go if paid. The promise of jam tomorrow is something you experience once and when it does not happen resolve not to believe in the future.
    If they wanted you seriously then not going should not be a deal breaker.

11. pwtin

pwtin Senior commenter

I agree with schools out, tell them you have an offer of paid employment on that day but would like to attend....Have they actually asked you to attend, as it would appear you instigated the discussion with them, that would be a real indication of what your chances are of gaining a post there in Sept. It should not be embarrassing to discuss money, would they work for free? I think not.

12. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

If you are not being paid for this day then its up to you to decide if the training itself might be beneficial to you. If so then take advantage of some free training which will look good on your CV, if not then seek a paid day else where.

I was once in the same situation when I school I had a long term placement had an inset training day and told I wasn't needed but free to attend if I choose. I thanked them for their offer but said it looked a good fishing day that day. " Now we knew you were going to say that" they replied..

13. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

A fair school would offer to pay you for this.

Agreed on the “permanent post” trick. It’s a common one amongst agencies.

14. JohnJCazorla

Apologies for nit-picking in a useful post but it's not sufficient to use words like school, they... etc (my bold).

In these circumstances it is vital that you can identify the organ-grinders and the monkeys. This is not always obvious and you can't really ask a monkey "Are you a monkey or an organ-grinder?" You need a lot of political nous. I spend a lot of time at the start of my long-term supply gigs on such identification and making friends with the ones who can advise on these petty power games.

If only I invested such effort in lesson planning:(

15. JohnJCazorla

But you can ask, "Do you need to consult with anyone on this decision?" or perhaps "Will your line manager be okay with this?"

16. FrauRussell

FrauRussell New commenter

I've worked with supply teachers for years and never known one get a permanent job at the schools. Be invited to apply, yes (and have to go back to teaching after their interview whilst others get the red carpet treatment), but never get the job. I'm on supply now and nothing would get me to an unpaid INSET day. I can count on the fingers of a V sign (for victory, of course ) the number of useful CPD sessions I can recall. If they want you, attendance at an INSET day will make no difference one way or the other.

17. gingerhobo48

gingerhobo48 Star commenter

:D:D:D

Lara mfl 05 likes this.