1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I ask for a payrise?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by herecomestrouble, Mar 1, 2011.

1. I am in my third year of headship and am near the bottom of my ISR (group 2 school). The school I work in has very challenging children and recruiting a new head would be difficult (VA nature also). The school has a rising roll but this would not mean a group change for the ISR. When I took over, I changed a number of things and have moved the school on in leaps and bounds - words of the Governors and Ofsted - not me! We had ofsted last month and received good in all categories except 8, which we got outstanding for. This is a real achievemnt for us in very challenging circumstances. The report states that it is the leadership that has moved the school on so rapidly. This was also fed back to Governors. The outstandings were achieved in the areas which have been on the SDP in the last 3 years and / or on my performnace mangement targets. I have met and exceeded all performance management targets since beocming head.
    I love the school and don't really want to move on but, feel that I could earn a higher wage in another setting as my ISR is so low (in comparison to schools of ta simialr size) and Im at the bottom of it! After all, the reason I come to work is for the money and I curently do not feel as though I am financially rewarded for the job I do (I am sure lots of school staff all over the country feel this way also).
    My husband got me thinking. He said.. if you worked in the public sector, geting a payrise would be almost a certain! Soooo do you think I should be cheeky and ask for my current pay spine point to be increased in recognition of: a rising role, confirmation of good leadership, retention etc.

Has anyone else ever been as cheeky as I'm thinking of being?!?

2. mychuck

mychuck New commenter

You should have a performance management review every year with your Governors. If you have a clear banding in which you can progress you should be entitled to progress up the levels as appropriate. I'm in a small school and the Governors set the banding before I arrived. I have progressed up that band since my arrival based on my yearly performance management review.
    If you are entitled to a pay increase based on your performance it should be awarded.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

In saying you're 'at the bottom' of your ISR, does that mean you've never had an incremental rise following your performance management? If that's the case, why on earth not?
    And yes - if you've performed as well as your Ofsted report suggests, ask for an additional increment. I did this - I got an incremental rise each year before the inspection and then requested another after a really good report, making two in the same year.

4. When I say I am at the bottom, I mean I started at the bottom and was awarded increment every year following perf man (in October and back dated to Sept.). As I started at the bottom of the ISR for group 2 I am now still near the bottom as I have only risen 2. My Governors never quibble about the extra increment rise as I have always reached my perf man targets.

I am talking about asking for an extra increment (or 2?!) in addition to these and mid year due to the circulstance I mentioned.
    Asking for a pay increase other than perf man seems to be not the done thing in teaching but I think Ive worked hard and deserve the recognition. I'm just worried the Governors will think I'm cheeky!

5. Middlemarch

Thanks for the clarification. Some might say it's cheeky, others would say that your performance has been outstanding (that's what I argued) and that as the regulations provide for one additional increment per year for such performance (therefore, unfortunately, you can't have another two!), you are entitled to ask.
    If the pay committee (because it should go to them - ensure it does not go to the whole governing body, because if they say 'no', you have nowhere to appeal to) says no, you can appeal to the appeals committee.

6. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Whilst we all want more money you entered into a contract. You have benefitted from standard increments and should be content with that. If you feel you are ready for a bigger school, off you go.
    Whilst leadership is perhaps responsible for guiding the improvements, the rest of the staff also deserve credit. Are you asking for double increments for everyone?
    When you are turned down, if you make a request, you risk starting a cycle of negativity; be grateful for what you have, many in the UK aren't so lucky at the moment.

7. Middlemarch

If Ofsted had put the school into special measures, the OP would have been dismissed. The rest of the staff would not - that's the difference.