1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

should I ask another parent?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Irulan, Jan 6, 2011.

1. What does the HT say? Isn't this something that should be followed up by the school? I thought that this would be a child safety issue. Possibly social services but that would be the HT's decision, I guess. Have you passed on your worries to the HT?
    Personally, I would not do anything on a 'personal' level. I think this should go through official channels and the HT should be taking it further.
    However, not being a member of the SLT, hopefully someone with more experience will be able to give advice. I know how worrying this can be.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'd say this is not a classteacher job. Your headteacher or office staff should be chasing attendance and sorting out contact. You should definitely not talk to another parent without the full permission and knowledge of your HT.

3. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Your school should have a " children missing from education " policy which the ht should have implemented by now.
    The procedure I follow ( happens quite often in my school) is to telephone all the local heads where people usually do a moonlight flit to, inform the la, ewo, social care and in the case of families who are particularly troubled, the police. Let the ht deal with it.

4. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

Thanks. The HT is aware but I will double check what he is doing about it. I didn't know there was a policy so I'll ask him about that.
    Thanks.

5. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

If you don't have a policy in your school, the LA will have a procedure.

6. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

Thanks curlygirl.