1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I apply?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Gsr25, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

Another post for a support role at a school I have applied to twice before has been advertised. It is pupil specific this time not general class support.
    I was not short listed for the previous applications which was disappointing (especially as I had followed Theo's excellent advice) and I am wondering whether I should bother applying for this position or not.
    I have applied for another post at a different school and again I wasn't shortlisted, I'm beginning to think it's me!
    I was previously an early years teacher and nursery nurse so I am wondering if that has put schools off maybe, I have been out of the classroom for nearly 5 years but have kept my hand in with volunteering and running parenting groups. I'm not sure what else I can do?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If you meet their criteria, yes, apply. If not, not!

I wonder if you need to be a little bit more open in your letter/statement, talking about the delicate balance between the TA and the teacher. Saying perhaps that although you are a trained teacher, you understand perfectly that in the classroom it is the teacher who is in charge, and you are always happy to take direction from him or her.

Because there is a chance that they may wonder if you'd be stepping slightly out of role?

Just a thought!

Best wishes

3. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

Thanks for your reply Theo.
    That's a good point, I didn't even consider that. I will do that.