1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I apply for Deputy Head jobs?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by mrsdoubtfire80, Feb 6, 2016.

1. mrsdoubtfire80

mrsdoubtfire80 New commenter

I've been teaching for 14 years in four different primary schools, and have been a middle leader in two different schools for 9 years. I was an acting DH for 12 months. I have an MA in Early Childhood Studies and a NASENCO award. I'm happiest when I'm doing leadership stuff, lesson observations, leading INSETs, coaching others, meeting with inspectors etc.
    I would love to be a DH, the snag is I only have experience in nursery, reception and year 1. Do you think that would not only go against me in an interview but would also limit my ability to do the job?
    Also I have two children under 5. I currently work full time and it's a challenge though I love it. The planning, marking etc is just about manageable though I don't think I could possibly bring any more work home than I currently do (two hours every night, 5 hours at the weekend), would a DH role increase my work load significantly?
    I feel that if I leave it any longer my qualifications and experience will be out of date.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Are there no Infant Schools to which you could apply? In my experience, a DHT would be expected to step into a year 5 or 6 class in an emergency, and certainly mentor and support teachers of KS2 as well as lower down the school.

In theory it shouldn't, but there may be more stress . . . SLT posts can be very intense.

I'm not sure how much your qualifications have a sell-by date! And surely, your experience is current, all the time? Although perhaps very limited, as you say . . .

Have you considered widening this experience? Asking to teach year 3 next year, for example? With some classes timetabled for KS2?

I would see that as possibly the route towards SLT in Primary.

Best wishes

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Most DHTs in primary have to teach - I'd be very careful saying this!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. netballgoalshooter

netballgoalshooter New commenter

Go careful - sometimes the expectations is all that a class teacher does and the deputy head with very little time given. Be bold and decide how much time out you need to fulfil the role and then ask for it.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree, most DHs I know in Primary often have only half a day off to do ' DH duties and paperwork' and have a full class commitment, unless it's a very large Primary.
    In fact most still have to teach when 'covering' for the absent Head and just 'be available' should an emergency arrive.

6. mrsdoubtfire80

mrsdoubtfire80 New commenter

Thank you for the advice guys.
    I'm going to consider asking for a move to year 3.
    OMG though I didn't mean I don't like teaching when I say I'm happiest doing leadership type tasks! Just that my favourite days are those where I've made something happen further than the realms of my classroom.