1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I apply for a Subject Leader position?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by thr0waway321, Mar 10, 2019.

1. I am now in my third year of teaching (began my NQT year in January 2017) and I have seen a post advertised at a different school locally for a Subject Leader position in my subject. Essential requirements asks for minimum 2 years experience. Would appreciate any advice on whether I should apply for this position and, if so, any tips on writing the cover letter or how to prepare for the interview stage would be much appreciated! TIA

2. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

You've got nothing to lose by applying for the job. The worse that can happen is that you don't get it but you will have had valuable interview experience and you will have had a taste of what things are like in another school.

With regard to your covering letter focus on giving the impression that you want to get on and although you've not been teaching that long you feel you've reached the stage where you want to step up to the next challenge and leading a department would fit the bill.

Don't forget the effect that you applying for HOD roles will have on your current SLT. You have put your head above the parapet and shown that you're ready to move onwards and upwards. There may be an opportunity in you present school that suddenly presents itself. Either way, you will have laid down the marker that you're looking for progression.

Interview - be positive. Research the department's results and if you see they're not as good as they could be, prepare some sort of strategy to boosting them. Think about what you could add to the department you would lead and the school more widely. Be assertive, prepare yourself for questions related to your relative lack of experience. Get it over that in your teaching career you've picked up a lot, you would be sympathetic to the feelings of perhaps older and more experienced staff in the department but if the department needs moving forward in certain areas (give some examples) you have spotted this and this would be your focus in your first year.

Don't be bashful, tell them straight why you think you're the best person for the job. I remember and Ofsted inspection once where I was giving it large to the inspector (in the days when each department had an inspector) and he said, 'You seem to have a lot to say for yourself'. To which I replied, 'Of course I am. You only come once every six years and I want you to know all about the great work we're doing here!' Similarly with your interview, it is your chance to make an impression so be the one who stands out from the crowd. Good luck.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

You could apply for the role- just make sure you let your HT know before you apply as you will be relying on them for a reference.
    In regards to your cover letter, emphasise on your current experience and what unique skills and attributes you can bring to the role and the school if you were successful. Have you led new subject initiatives? Have you implemented schemes of work? You can add all this in- it all helps at the end of the day.

agathamorse and Shedman like this.