1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I appeal?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Juls Radster, Apr 15, 2011.

1. I'm writing this post as a mummy and not a teacher. I have just had my daughter's application for my school refused. We are Catholics but out of the area and I've found out we are 31 on the list. I knew there was a chance she wouldn't get in but as I teach in Nursery I thought I knew how many children were Catholics and non-Catholics. What I didn't imagine was that 7 children not currently in our nursery would apply for places. (Last year only 4 weren't in our nursery and in other years all came from our nursery) My daughter is currently in my school nursery and she just presumes she will be moving to the next class. I haven't got the heart to tell her she has to move schools. [​IMG]
    My question is have I any grounds for making an appeal? My teacher head says no but as a mummy I don't want to not appeal and then regret it later if someone else appeals and wins. The school she has been offered is closer to where I live but it is impossible for me to be in 2 schools at once. Even if this school has a breakfast club starting at 8am I would not be able to get to work (40 mins or more away at that time) because my school day starts at 8.45am. Again I have a problem picking up and I don't know if the school has after school care.
    Any advice would be appreciated although I probably know the answers if I'm honest.

2. I'm writing this post as a mummy and not a teacher. I have just had my daughter's application for my school refused. We are Catholics but out of the area and I've found out we are 31 on the list. I knew there was a chance she wouldn't get in but as I teach in Nursery I thought I knew how many children were Catholics and non-Catholics. What I didn't imagine was that 7 children not currently in our nursery would apply for places. (Last year only 4 weren't in our nursery and in other years all came from our nursery) My daughter is currently in my school nursery and she just presumes she will be moving to the next class. I haven't got the heart to tell her she has to move schools. [​IMG]
    My question is have I any grounds for making an appeal? My teacher head says no but as a mummy I don't want to not appeal and then regret it later if someone else appeals and wins. The school she has been offered is closer to where I live but it is impossible for me to be in 2 schools at once. Even if this school has a breakfast club starting at 8am I would not be able to get to work (40 mins or more away at that time) because my school day starts at 8.45am. Again I have a problem picking up and I don't know if the school has after school care.
    Any advice would be appreciated although I probably know the answers if I'm honest.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I'm sorry but from the information in your post there doesn't seem to be any grounds to appeal [​IMG]

4. I know I'm just keeping everything crossed that someone does refuse their place and then my little one will be in. Its just so frustrating because I know a lot of the children don't even go to the church and their attendance in nursery is appalling. I've worked at this school for 13 years and it counts for nothing.

5. Msz

I would advise staying on the school waiting list and there are a couple of very knowledgeable posters on mumsnet who could advise ...good luck.

6. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Yes. Appeal.
    The Board of Governers - does it include the Parish Priest? If so then have a word in his ear. Pull some strings. A Catholic teacher is hard to find in some schools and you are worth your weight in gold if you practice Catholicism too. Places in a Catholic school are allocated differently to other schools, you know all that.
    Appeal and if you are turned down then keep your little one in nursery with you and wait for a child to leave.
    Really! Some schools eh?
    Oh, and pray. That might help too.

7. Msz

Are places allocated by the school or LA?

8. Msz

Do you know the admission criteria?
    for example
    1 LAC.
    2 Exceptional arrangements.
    3 Children having a sibling & for whom ABC is the nearest school.
    4 Children resident and who regularly worship in the Parish of A or B
    5 Children resident in the Parishes of A or B.
    6 Children having a sibling & for whom ABC is not the nearest school.
    7 Children resident outside the Parishes of A and B and worshipping regularly
    with other churches or faiths.
    8 Children resident outside the parishes of A and B

9. Aw thanks Nelly, I will definitely try that. I was speaking to the school's retired parish priest (who actually married me 5 years ago) on Monday and he said there should be a criteria of practicising Catholics and he'd been arguing with the diocese about it for years. I will write an appeal just for my piece of mind. Even if it changes the school policy of teachers wanting their children in school then it will be worth doing.
    When you say keep my child in nursery, do you mean instead of her starting full-time? She will be 5 in December so does that mean that she can stay part-time with me til January then start Reception? I could then make another appeal in December as my 2nd daughter will be starting nursery in January and my 1st could be classed as having a sibling in school!
    I'm praying every day so you never know.......

10. The teacher who deals with admissions told me I'm Category 3 which is Catholic out of the catchment. Apparently the distance was really close as well and they (the teacher and staff governor) had everything crossed for me when working it out.
    The LA still processes admissions but parents need to apply to the school as well, including baptismal certificates because we are voluntary aided.

11. Msz

You could perhaps appeal on grounds of distance if you think there is a chance a mistake has been made ... sorry

12. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Established commenter

As others have said, appeal anyway, you have nothing to lose. But just wanted to mention that usually attendance at nursery does not guarentee a place in the school, so the fact that she attended nursery, or that you work there would be an irrelevant consideration. However if she did manage to get a place in the school, then this would give daughter 2 a better chance, it wouldnt work the other way round (ie whilst daughter 2 is in nursery).
    Its also worth checking who handles appeals. In my LA, places area allocated by the LA to ensure fair play, but after June they are handed over to the schools, along with the waiting list. There's a chance one person will drop out by September.
    Just another point as well if your schools tend to be over subscribed. Please accept the other place anyway, (unless you are adamant she is not going there), because if you dont, you could end up with no place at all. I saw this year after year when I was a Children's Centre teacher , and ended up each September with several unplaced children beacuse they turned down their allocated school on the grounds that if they shouted loud enough they would get the school they wanted. They didnt always!

13. I would also say check the admissions policy. There may be grounds for affording preferential treatment to baptised and practising catholic children. If you do not get any assistance from the governors, you may be able to appeal to the Bishop/ person in charge of education for your diocese.

14. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

Agree with the above poster about the provision for practising catholic children from other parishes. Of course your problem is class size legislation. I've a friend who is a senior teacher and she got her child into the same school because there was no reasonable public transport to get her into the one she had been allocated - but secondaries have a bit more flexibility. And it depends on how bonkers your LA is. Ours takes no notice of "prereferences" and so we have a couple of children allocated to us for Sept who have put us 3rd on their choices. No doubt they will be looking to move if there is that possibility. This year, we had 2 spaces within 4 weeks of the start of the year because of children moving around schools.

15. I would appeal but after having being through the appeal process myself and lost I would never go to an appeal again without the presence of a lawyer as I think that is the only way possible to get in through appeal. This may of course depend on your local authority but we had 18 appeals last year and not one child was admitted.
    Keep your daughter on the waiting list though as this changes regularly throughout the year with people moving house/schools etc. However like other posters I would accept the place at other school as a child in our school now has no place as mum said she was going to home school then later changed her mind by which time her daughter had lost her place. She now has no where to go despite a sibling at our school.

good luck x

16. Thanks for all those supportive replies. I have accepted the offer I was given as it's an outstanding school near to me, just not practical when I'm working at a school 40 mins away. I know my appeal will probably be futile but feel like I've got to try as any parent would. I'm also going into school this week so will look at the admissions policy and check some of the distances just in case.