1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I accept this job or leave altogether?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by lily_w, Oct 25, 2015.

1. lily_w

lily_w New commenter

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice about an opportunity I've been offered. I would be particularly interested in hearing from people who work/have worked part time in a job share.

I recently left a job in my new school for a number of reasons, the main one being that I have an unwell relative I need to support for the next few months and the school wasn't right for me. I requested to be released early from my contract as working full time meant I couldn't be there for my family member.

This weekend, my old Head of Year (from my previous school) contacted me. She is now a deputy head in a new academy that only opened last year. She said that she'd heard through mutual friends that I'd left and asked if I'd come and look round her school, as the staff are inexperienced and she would like to add an experienced teacher to her team. One of the teachers (an NQT) is struggling and has asked to leave asap, so they need someone to cover that class.

I explained that I could look round after half term but due to family commitments, I can only work part time. She said that was fine and we could discuss something when I come to visit.

I feel unsure about the whole thing. On one hand, it would be nice to be part of a new school with lots of opportunities (they currently only have an intake up to Year 4, so it is still growing as a school.) On the other hand, I'm not sure if working part time would make a difference to the stress and workload which is so prevalent in teaching at the moment.
    Would working only 2/3 days make a difference?
    Is it worth it for the pay?
    Do job shares generally work well?
    I don't want to be in a situation where I'm physically there part time but I end up working full time at home! I also have some concerns that the NQT was desperate to leave asap - it could be a particularly challenging class or the school could be badly managed? When you look around a school, you only get a small glimpse of what it's truly like - as I found out with my last school. It looked lovely when I looked round but the reality was very different.

Before my old HoY got in touch, I was planning to leave teaching altogether so I'm not sure whether I should accept this. Any thoughts would be helpful as I'm not sure what to do.

2. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

You're not making any commitment if you just go in and have a look round. I think I'd go in and have a chat then decide.

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

You can only find out by going in. You could even ask to meet the class if that's what is putting you off. If you had a decent relationship with your old Head of Year, surely you can raise these concerns now. After all this school is pursuing you so they should be in a position to meet your needs. You can always leave if it ends up being too much but it sounds like a rare opportunity to be offered a job on your terms!

ilovesooty likes this.
  4. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Very much depends on how well you work as a team with your jobshare. But yes it is perfectly possible to keep it closed into 2/3 days if that's what you are paid for. You need to be very disciplined. I do bits on my days off but that is because I haven't done much after school on my 'working days' ...my choice.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

There is some good advice above, @lily_w . I will add two things.

• Do what is best for you and your relative (I do admire what you are doing in caring, by the way).
    • Go in on the basis that you are not going to accept, it's up to the school to change your mind, rather than the other way round.
    And tell your HoY that!

Don't feel that you have to explain why you are not accepting. You went there in the Not accepting mode, and nothing has changed your mind. That's it.

Best wshes

Weans likes this.
  6. corneronrye

corneronrye New commenter

I am a 3 day a week job share and I manage not to work at weekends, but I do work long days on my working days and a bit more on my "days off". Good communication with my job sharer is paramount.

However, I have the same amount of pressure regarding targets, lesson observations, assessments, appraisals, book scrutinies, planning scrutinies, parents meetings, IEPs etc as a full time teacher and that is the part of the job I find increasingly intolerable. I have job shared since I had my children in late 90s. It used to work well for me, but I'm afraid nowadays I feel the pay is not worth the pressure.

7. lily_w

lily_w New commenter

Thank you all for your replies so far.

Corneronrye, I find your post interesting because that is what I'm afraid of. I don't want to have the same pressure as I did when I was full time but with less pay. I'm wondering now if I should even look around the school because I can be easily sucked in with the promise of things being easier and good opportunities etc. I just don't know if it will work for me.

8. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I left one school to go part time in another - 3 days - and the amount of outside the classroom work just increased and increased until I was effectively working 5+ days a week for 3 days' pay. Not worth it for me.