1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I accept Permanent Cover Supervisor or 1 term Teacher?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by MJHa, Jun 19, 2015.

1. MJHa

MJHa New commenter

Hi,

I am being made redundant and have accepted (verbally) a maternity cover role until December in an amazing school!

However, today my current school have offered me a permanent position of 'Cover Supervisor' starting in September.

The decision is made more complicated as my wife and I have a new born baby. So whilst I feel being a teacher for 1 term would be better for my CV, being a Cover Supervisor will provide a more long term salary.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this to help me make my decision!

2. No decision to make then. Others will be along to clarify details, but you have a contract with the new school which cannot be broken.

Additionally, is it in the same LA? I believe there are rules about how soon you can resume work following a redundancy. Compulsory or voluntary makes a big difference too.

I may be on the wrong tack here regarding the redundancy, so hopefully others will confirm or correct. I am not wrong, however, on breaking a verbal contract.

3. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

As stated ^^^, your decision has been made.

4. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

I'd also say that a term as a teacher is worth doing rather than work as a CS which you might find difficult to break free from...

5. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

You've accepted the maternity cover and cannot back out. Who knows? It may lead to another job. However, why not say you could start as a cover supervisor next January, if they'll let you?

6. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Even if you had the choice (which you haven't) I would be very wary of accepting the CS role as a qualified teacher .

Some schools take advantage of qualified teachers in CS roles as gradually they expect more from the person in terms of planning and marking etc (afterall you are qualfied to do it). Before you realise you are filling a teacher's role for CS pay.

7. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

The long term salary as a cover supervisor is going to be far less than that of a teacher. It could also be the death knell of your career if you get comfortable. If you had no other option then maybe this is a different scenario. You have accepted a teaching job now. I think even if you hadn't the temp job would be the way to go anyway.