1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should I accept I'm a courtesy interview?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by kodachrome, Feb 4, 2016.

1. kodachrome

kodachrome New commenter

I have been on a temporary contract for a term and made it clear from the outset that I wanted the permanent job when it came up. I feel I have done a great job, taking on extra roles and mentoring students. The feedback I have had from students, parents and observations have all been really positive.
    To be honest I had hoped that they wouldn't bother advertising the permanent post but they have and I was told today that I had an interview, with 6 other candidates! The job is teaching 2 subjects to A'Level with another subject being advantageous. I have a degree in two of the subjects, a masters in the third and have taught all 3. This combined with my (I hoped!) excellent time in post I thought made me a really strong candidate.
    At a time when I know how swamped SLT is and how logistically difficult it is going to be to interview this many candidates I can only assume that the quality of applicants is very high. It also makes me think that to interview all these candidates can only mean that I am only a courtesy interview as I am already in post. Am I being paranoid?

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Yes.
    It is yours to throw away. Make sure you do an excellent interview.

kodachrome likes this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Hmmm...I sympathise as I was (twice - in different schools) in a similar position, and (sorry to say) didn't get the job either time. Maybe the other candidates were better, maybe not, but they were definitely 20+ years younger!

Despite this I'd say go all out to show you are the best candidate, you never know this may still be your day. But don't be too dispirited if it isn't.

Lara mfl 05 and kodachrome like this.
  4. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Honestly, I am terrible for this. Even just looking at the other candidates' names can get me worked up!

I once walked into an interview with five others some years ago now. There were three men and two women waiting in the reception area with tailored suits and grave expressions.

As it turned out, they were really rather nice and we chatted during the day and I confessed I'd felt so intimidated when I walked in. They all unanimously said 'that's how we felt when we saw you!'

I would definitely be threatened by you koda; you sound like a great candidate - go for it!

5. kodachrome

kodachrome New commenter

They will definately be younger I am sure! Thanks, I will give it my best shot. X

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well they won't waste any extra time interviewing anyone they don't need to.
    So go in and convince them YOU'RE the best candidate!

kodachrome likes this.
  7. kodachrome

kodachrome New commenter

Will do my best! Thank you. Just can't help but think they are going to an awful lot of effort to employ someone else!

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

No it's to 'justify' any decision they make, to governors/ stakeholders/ parents/ LA whoever. Then there's no 'comeback' it was 'a done deal'.

9. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

With your qualifications, experience and feedback, and the fact that you are already in the position so they know what they are getting, you know the school and the children, it seems barking to interview six other people.

But they may want someone cheaper and younger.

Good luck.

10. kodachrome

kodachrome New commenter

Yep, bit short notice to get Botox.

11. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

You have proved your worth already and must be a strong candidate, but...

Now stop feeling sorry for yourself and get your backside over to Jobseekers, where @TheoGriff has plenty of excellent advice on how to maximise your chances at interview, including as an internal candidate! ;)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  12. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

The school might be compelled to advertise the post and have a minimum number of candidates on the selection panel to make it valid. Its very possible that some of the other candidates are the "courtesy" candidates there to make up the numbers and that you are the prefered choice.

But you will not know if you don't give it a go.

13. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Do remember to treat it just the same as another school you might be interviewed at where you are not already employed. Assume they know nothing about you and tell them how you are the best for the job. Good luck! :)

14. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

I was going to say this. If they advertise, see what's out there and appoint the best. I've got jobs as an internal candidate and ive got jobs for an external posts over internal candidates.
    Schools where things are done deals get reputations quickly. Being an internal is a blessing and a curse but having done a great job then the job is yours to lose. Just prove you're a great candidate and DON'T assume the school knows you. Make sure you spell out your contributions to the school. Sell yourself like you would as an external candidate.

And perhaps not spend lots of time reading this forum when you go through it because you'll be seeing the worst of the recruitment process. Most schools are decent.

15. kodachrome

kodachrome New commenter

Thank you, I will!

16. kodachrome

kodachrome New commenter

Haha yes! You are absolutely right. Will do my best and leave the rest to Karma!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  17. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

-badgergirl-
    Honestly, I am terrible for this. Even just looking at the other candidates' names can get me worked up!

I once walked into an interview with five others some years ago now. There were three men and two women waiting in the reception area with tailored suits and grave expressions.

As it turned out, they were really rather nice and we chatted during the day and I confessed I'd felt so intimidated when I walked in. They all unanimously said 'that's how we felt when we saw you!'

I would definitely be threatened by you koda; you sound like a great candidate - go for it!

Indeed, if I found that a candidate was an NQt called Laura from Manchester, I thought 'game over!' However, it works in reverse, you look at some names and your first thought is 'dodgy supply teacher!'

18. Resolve

Resolve New commenter

19. Resolve

Resolve New commenter

Ah - so many assumptions. And yes - your thinking style isn't serving you all that well. Don't try to be a mind reader. Have you read the other candidates' CVs? Why not treat the interview as an opportunity to hone your interview skills? At the very least you will (or should) get some excellent feedback which will stand you in good professional stead.

20. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Be sure to let us know how it goes...