1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should HLTAs teach science?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by robyn147, Feb 24, 2011.

1. On the CS thread.
    http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/453363.aspx
    Surely science is a subject that should be taught by a qualified teacher? I seem to remember spending a reasonable amount of time studying how to teach it and going on courses after qualifying.
    But hey, if an HLTA can teach science to the whole school, why stop there? History, geography, the whole thing. Why have qualified teachers? It's only primary school - anyone with a few GCSEs can teach anything.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

On the CS thread.
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/453363.aspx
    Surely science is a subject that should be taught by a qualified teacher? I seem to remember spending a reasonable amount of time studying how to teach it and going on courses after qualifying.
    But hey, if an HLTA can teach science to the whole school, why stop there? History, geography, the whole thing. Why have qualified teachers? It's only primary school - anyone with a few GCSEs can teach anything.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

or perhaps the HLTA has a degree in science ... not that I agree to HLTAs being used this way

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Shouldn't all subjects be 'taught' by qualified teachers?

Having said that my HLTA at my last school covered my PPA and taught art far better than I ever could.

If a teacher lacks knowledge and confidence in teaching science, and an HLTA has both, and is covering PPA or similar, it makes sense for them to do it.

Don't see it is worse for science than any other subject.